Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

ABS pump-Thoughts ???

Search this Thread

Old December 14th, 2017, 10:52 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS pump-Thoughts ???

Hello all, new to the forum here. I have inherited a 1999 Chevy silverado reg cab long bed 4x4 with a 5.3 with auto trans. When i went to pick this truck up while loading the truck onto my car trailer it blew a front left side brake hose. Granted this truck had sat for over a year so i excepted problems. So with that said i loaded it onto the trailer no big deal and brought it home. Upon further inspection the brakes lines where garbage along with the rotors pads and calipers. So with all that being trash i replaced all of he brake lines with stainless steel line also all hose with stainless braided line. Replaces all calipers,rotors and brake pads along with the master cylinder. After replacing all this i hooked my motive power bleeder up and bleed all the lines per standard left rear right rear and so on. When i was finished there was no air at all coming out of any of the bleeders. I go to take it for a drive and push the pedal and it goes clear to the floor. I take it out the old country road i live on and it stops but not until the pedal goes clear to the floor but before it stops the pedal starts pulsating it starts making a clicking noise under the driver seat and acts like the ABS is trying to lock up and stops which at the times it did this i was between 10 and 15 mph. I have no brake light on and no ABS light on anywhere and my code reader does not pull any ABS codes because it compatible to pull abs codes. So i figured i would check the abs pump. I did a test on the power wire coming into the pump plug in and i am getting 11.84 volts so i know the pump is getting power. I figured i would try to apply direct power to the pump with a jumper from the battery and i could not hear the pump running whatsoever so either these pumps are really quiet or mine has took a dump on me and i believe its trash.My main question is with this pump not pumping does this cause a soft pedal in the end and can this pump be bad with the abs light and no codes for it. Sorry for the long winded post and maybe a repeat but any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old December 15th, 2017, 11:46 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know on my truck (00) the abs module has crapped the bed. It tried to kill me. When I bought the truck someone had disabled the abs light, so I had them fix that. I bought it knowing the abs module was bad my scanner picked up the codes.

I never heard it make noise, or anything. The abs module is a common failure point on these. After mine tried to kill me not letting me stop pulling into the place I bought it from to make a payment, I yanked the fuse. One of these days I'll get motivated to replace the module, but it's low priority.

The thing that gets me on yours is the pedal travel. It sounds like you've done everything right, but I know when you swap the module you have to bleed the whole system, which it sounds like you did, but you might want to crack the lines at the module and see if you are getting good pass thru. Either way it sounds like you're in for more bleeding.
Old January 24th, 2018, 10:51 PM
CF Beginner

Sorry to keep to bringing this post up but i am still at a loss for getting a good firm brake pedal on my 99 silverado. I have run 64 oz of brake fluid through this system and no air is coming out of any of the brake lines bleeders. I have replaced the master cylinder and bench bleed it. My only other question is will the brake still have a firm pedal if the abs pump on the frame rail is no operational????? Could there be a vacuum leak in the booster??? I have tried everything i know of. Could i have a bad bleeder that is possibly not sealing off all the way? I am at a complete stand and dont know where to turn anymore. Thanks for you input guys all the help is greatly appreciated!!!!!
Old September 7th, 2019, 7:57 PM
CF Beginner

Default Auto bleed

It has been awhile since your last post so you might have figured it out already. I just replaced all the brake lines on my '03 Silverado. I had the same issue...brake pedal to the floor on test drive. I found out that you have to bleed the ABS module to get the firmness back into the pedal. Air get trapped in it. This bleed is done with a scan tool. Hope this helps.