Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

A few questions... 4x4, engine, dinger...

Search this Thread

Old April 8th, 2016, 12:43 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default A few questions... 4x4, engine, dinger...

Ok so I'm looking at picking up a 00 silverado, 183k 4x4 3 door extended cab. I've walked away from a few tahoes and suburbans where the 4x4 drug the truck to a stop. I know the transfer cases on these years (99-07-ish) are a weak link with wearing a pinhole in the transfer case, but on several I've test drove (including z-71's) with 4x4 engaged it seems to lock the rear diff. I know the g-80 has a mechanical locker where if one wheel outspeeds the other at around 120 rpm, it locks it up. I'm noticing that they don't seem to be waiting until the outspeed. Also with 4x4 engaged it drags the truck to a stop.

Also, the particular one I'm in love with this week seems to have an issue where the dinger goes off constantly while the truck is in motion. When you stop, it stops. I'm well experienced mechanically, and have never encountered this. I'm concerned the bcm may be the issue, but would like other opinions.

I know that intake gaskets are pretty notorious on these as well, and this particular truck looks like there are a few seals in the front diff that need attention, are there any other things that I should have on my radar? I wish I could find a 4 door for the right price but inventory here is pretty limited, I found a 4 door for the same price but it's got 200k and not 4x4... ugh.

I'm going to be driving very little mostly 6 miles a day to and from work, and pull a pontoon boat occasionally. The transmission seems solid, I'd like to hope to avoid a rebuild, but acknowledge it's possibly in the cards.

Any other info/tips/tricks/things to look for would be appreciated.

I'm going thru a buy here pay here lot so I'm going to get raped on the financing and their warranties are useless I can't justify paying whatever percent with their idiotic markup, when I can just do it myself.
Old April 8th, 2016, 10:12 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

front axle seals, transmission cooler lines, idler and pitman arms are all pretty common on any K body with some miles on it.

Not sure I'd be concerned about the truck stopping from being in 4x4 theres a lot of extra friction involved with 4x4. How are you determining the axle is locking too soon?

The dinger could be a lot of things...you sure its not just the seatbelt reminder? No service needed messages or lights?
Old April 10th, 2016, 9:36 AM
CF Senior Member

Yeah we noticed that the front end seals were all in need of attention.

This particular truck doesn't have the g80 (I don't think. It's not a z71 but I'll have to check the codes this week) but when you try to turn at all while in 4wheel, it's wanting to hop the inside wheel, like a locker is engaged. But this isn't the only one thats done this.

I'll be looking into the trans cooling lines and consider a aux cooler. I was off on the mileage, it's actually at 187k.

I'll check idler and pitman arms too. I gotta talk the dealership into getting some rear tires on it, the fronts appear to be fairly new, but the rears are pretty worn.
Old April 11th, 2016, 8:31 PM
CF Veteran

tire hopping on tight turns has nothing to do with a locker that's just a symptom of driveline bind from being in 4x4...completely normal
Old April 12th, 2016, 11:25 PM
CF Senior Member

Got the truck today, I've hammered it all afternoon, more than 100 miles and it pulled 16mpg. I can't tell you how amazed I am. I'm freaking stoked to have a truck that gets that good a mileage, with me romping the crap outta it trying to find a weak link.

So far what I've found: It's been repainted. Not greatly, but not horribly either.
Pass side big door is missing the retainer pin, so I'll have to find one to save the fender.
Gas guage only goes to 3/4. Not sure how low it goes, I'm not real interested in running it out of fuel.
I've noticed when I first shut the truck off the gauges bottom out, then after a few seconds the gas and temp gauges jump to 3/4.
The abs module is throwing the abs light, I got 100 knocked off for that cause I didn't feel like waiting on them, which brings us to the dinger, it was going off because the parking brake was on slightly, but someone had disabled the lights. The dealer corrected the disabled idiot lights.
It's got an intermittent brake scream, so I'll prolly be doing pads before too long. I love it's got disc's all the way around.

Like our old suburban, the daytime running lights don't work and it's defaulting to headlights on. I'm guessing that the light sensor is junked. I don't like driving with them on, so I'll do like I did in the suburban and toggle them off with the override.

I've gotta get another aftermarket tail light to match the other one, one is original the other new, so it just looks a bit funny.

4x4 shifts flawlessly, so I'm stoked and now I'm ready for some snow or ice. lol
Old April 14th, 2016, 1:18 AM
CF Senior Member

Ok RPO codes, mine has Z71 and the decoders I've seen say offroad package. Apparently whoever had it before removed the skid plates.

I ran all the rpo codes and it didn't show the g80 diff, or even show the option for limited slip, or open. It did say it's got 3.73 gears.

Am I missing something?

Name:  12987228_10201491363921453_1778891569994058257_n_82846e324945b14374ba549ba67cbc87953f84c9.jpg
Views: 299
Size:  16.5 KB

Last edited by hicksvilleshick; April 14th, 2016 at 1:50 AM.
Old April 17th, 2016, 11:32 PM
CF Senior Member

complete list. nzz says it should have skid plates. I'm torn, wish they were still on it, but with it's mileage, and the time I plan to spend under it, kinda glad they aren't still on it. lol

total twist of irony, it was built on my ex's birthday in 99... lol

RPO CodeExplanation/DescriptionAG1DJUSTER FRT ST POWER, MULTI-DIRECTIONAL, DRIVER AG2DJUSTER PASS ST POWER, MULTI-DIRECTIONAL AJ1INDOW TINTED DEEP, ALL EXCEPT W/S AND DRS AM7FOLDING AU0OCK CONTROL, ENTRY REMOTE ENTRY AU3NTROL SIDE DR, ELEC A31POWER OPERATED, ALL DOORS A95SEAT FRT BKT, HIGH BACK, DRIVER & PASS RECL B30COVERING FLOOR CARPET B32COVERING FRT FLOOR MATS, AUX B33COVERING REAR FLOOR MATS, AUX B85MOLDING B/S EXTERIOR, BRIGHT C60HVAC SYSTEM AIR CONDITIONER FRT, MAN CONTROLS C7HGVW RATING 6,400 LBS/2,900 KG DF5MIRROR I/S R/V LT SENSITIVE, COMPASS, O/S TEMP DISPLAY DK6CONSOLE ROOF INTERIOR D07CONSOLE FRT COMPT, FLOOR, CUSTOM D48MIRROR O/S LH & RH, REMOTE CONTROL, ELECTRIC, COLOR. EVAVT, EVAP EMISSION REQUIREMENT E63BODY EQUIPMENT FLEETSIDE PICK-UP BOX FE9CERTIFICATION EMISSION, FEDERAL FK2ARM LH TORS BAR SPRING ADJ (A) FK3ARM RH TORS BAR SPRING ADJ (B) FWIPLANT CODE FT WAYNE, IN, USA GT4AXLE REAR 3.73 RATIO JC5BRAKE VAC POWER, 4 WHL DISC, 7,200 LBS KNPNG SYSTEM TRANS, HD 913K34E CONTROL AUTOMATIC, ELECTRONIC K47AIR CLEANER HIGH CAPACITY K68GENERATOR 105 AMP LM7ENGINE GAS, 8 CYL, 5.3L, MFI, IRON, GM M30TRANSMISSION AUTO 4 SPD, HMD, 4L60-E, ELECTRONIC NF2EMISSION SYSTEM FEDERAL, TIER 1 NP5STEERING WHEEL LEATHER WRAPPED NP8TRANSFER CASE ACTIVE, TWO SPEED, PUSH BUTTON CONTROL NZZPACKAGE SKID PLATE, OFF ROAD SPOT PF9WHEEL 16 X 7, ALUMINUM CAST QGDTIRE ALL P265/75R16-114S WOL R/PE ST TL AT R9ZOL SALES ITEM NO.100 SLMSALES PROCESSING STOCK ORDERS UP0RADIO AM/FM STEREO, SEEK/SCAN, AUTO REV MUSIC SEARCH CASS, CD, AUTO TONE, CLOCK, ETR UQ3SPEAKER SYSTEM PERFORMANCE ENHANCED AUDIO UY7WIRING HARNESS TRUCK TRAILER, HD VB3BUMPER RR STEP, CHROME, IMPACT STRIP VG3BUMPER FRT IMPACT STRIP VR4TRAILER HITCH WEIGHT DISTRIBUTING PLATFORM VXSLE COMPLETE V22GRILLE RADIATOR, CHROME V73VEHICLE STATEMENT USA/CANADA XGDTIRE FRONT P265/75R16-114S WOL R/PE ST TL AT X88MARKET BRAND CHEVROLET YD3(BASE EQUIP) FOR SCHEDULING GVW PLATE YD6G RR, BASE EQUIPMENT YE9CONVENIENCE PKG COMFORT & DECOR LEVEL #3 YGDTIRE REAR P265/75R16-114S WOL R/PE ST TL AT ZGDTIRE SPARE P265/75R16-114S WOL R/PE ST TL AT ZY1COLOR COMBINATION SOLID Z71CHASSIS PACKAGE OFF ROAD Z82TRAILER PROVISIONS SPECIAL EQUIPMENT, H.D. 1SBPACKAGE OPTION 02 1SZUNT OPTION PACKAGE 12DTRIM COMBINATION CLOTH, GRAPHITE (D) (96) 12IINTERIOR TRIM GRAPHITE II (99) 12IINTERIOR TRIM GRAPHITE (96) 12IINTERIOR TRIM EBONY (99) HOLDENS 50UPRIMARY COLOR EXTERIOR, PROCYON GRAY PEARL (BRAZIL) (03) 50UPRIMARY COLOR EXTERIOR, OLYMPIC WHITE (02) 50UPRIMARY COLOR EXTERIOR, STONE BEIGE MET (02) 50UPRIMARY COLOR EXTERIOR, PEARLCOLOR RED MICA (02) 50UPRIMARY COLOR EXTERIOR, LIGHT SERENGHETTI (02) (HOLDENS) 6WYCOMPONENT FRT LH COMPUTER SEL SUSP (6WY) 7WYCOMPONENT FRT RH COMPUTER SEL SUSP (7WY)

Last edited by hicksvilleshick; April 17th, 2016 at 11:41 PM.
Old November 9th, 2016, 5:47 PM
CF Beginner

If you are using the 4x4 on dry pavement ..that's a no no... you should really get the book on when and where and at what speed to engage the 4x4.
I would check the cv's or u joints up front , you may have one or both missing bearings...if cv..maybe that is worn ..i do know on my chevy if i engage the 4x4
on dry pavement in a turn, it can almost make the truck hop and slows it down quite considerably . Please take care and only use it on the snow /mud or gravel.
Please refer to your owners manual on that one ok. it can only help you understand what actually is going on when a 4x4 is engaged.
Kat
Old November 15th, 2016, 10:58 AM
CF Senior Member

Yeah I know. I was testing on lose gravel. I've had it down some trails and used the 4x4 and is worked fine. Love the truck still. It's getting driven more than I want because someone decided to steal our honduh.