Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   1999 - 2006 (GMT800) (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/1999-2006-gmt800-108/)
-   -   New clutch issue. (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/1999-2006-gmt800-108/new-clutch-issue-89930/)

Brian Simmons April 14th, 2018 9:14 PM

New clutch issue.

Hi, I am Brian and this is my 1st time ever using any discussion forum. Take it easy on me.. Lol

I installed a new pilot bearing, clutch, pressure plate, throw out/slave cylinder, clutch master cylinder, clutch pedal and flywheel has been turned down on my 2006 Chevy Silverado 1500 4.8l 5 speed.

I bench bled the master til rod was hard and would not move, gravity bled slave. Installed everything and have bled through 2 bottles of 32 oz DOT3 fluid. It drives but hard to go in gear and barely disengages where soon as you start letting off clutch it goes. Also at idle still sounds like a bad throw out/slave with the rattle noise they make but when clutch is pushed in and put in first it goes away. It is my 2nd new slave i have installed. Any suggestions before I take it to a shop.

I'm thinking the bearing on input shaft (not sure what its called maybe tampered bearing) is bad but not sure about throw out issue.

oilcanhenry April 15th, 2018 4:11 AM

Originally Posted by Brian Simmons (Post 355625)
Hi, I am Brian and this is my 1st time ever using any discussion forum. Take it easy on me.. Lol

I installed a new pilot bearing, clutch, pressure plate, throw out/slave cylinder, clutch master cylinder, clutch pedal and flywheel has been turned down on my 2006 Chevy Silverado 1500 4.8l 5 speed.

I bench bled the master til rod was hard and would not move, gravity bled slave. Installed everything and have bled through 2 bottles of 32 oz DOT3 fluid. It drives but hard to go in gear and barely disengages where soon as you start letting off clutch it goes. Also at idle still sounds like a bad throw out/slave with the rattle noise they make but when clutch is pushed in and put in first it goes away. It is my 2nd new slave i have installed. Any suggestions before I take it to a shop.

I'm thinking the bearing on input shaft (not sure what its called maybe tampered bearing) is bad but not sure about throw out issue.

I'd make very sure that all the air is out of the system. Since you did so much work on your 1500 pickup braking system, it might have trapped air somewhere still. Might be some air in your ABS system, for instance, Brian.

Brian Simmons April 15th, 2018 5:37 AM

Originally Posted by oilcanhenry (Post 355634)
I'd make very sure that all the air is out of the system. Since you did so much work on your 1500 pickup braking system, it might have trapped air somewhere still. Might be some air in your ABS system, for instance, Brian.

It's the Clutch. I bled it more. The clutch pedal feels solid and my wife's cousin came over and you can see the slave looks to be moving normally just have to go to floor to fully disengage. And when letting up it goes right as soon as you start letting off. We determined the input shaft bearing seems to have gone out. Never thought to check it while it was out, although no play in the input shaft so, I figured all good with it.

The brake and clutch master are separate resovoirs.

oilcanhenry April 17th, 2018 7:02 AM

Originally Posted by Brian Simmons (Post 355638)
It's the Clutch. I bled it more. The clutch pedal feels solid and my wife's cousin came over and you can see the slave looks to be moving normally just have to go to floor to fully disengage. And when letting up it goes right as soon as you start letting off. We determined the input shaft bearing seems to have gone out. Never thought to check it while it was out, although no play in the input shaft so, I figured all good with it.

The brake and clutch master are separate resovoirs.

My mistake about the ABS. Seems like I see so many questions about brake issues, that I got your clutch issue mixed up.

Glad to hear that you found the problem, Brian! :)

Brian Simmons April 21st, 2018 9:14 AM

Originally Posted by oilcanhenry (Post 355771)
My mistake about the ABS. Seems like I see so many questions about brake issues, that I got your clutch issue mixed up.

Glad to hear that you found the problem, Brian! :)

Looks like after pulling tansmission again the input shaft where the pilot sits is worn. Trying to get a picture to show see if anyone thinks i should replace it too.

content://media/external/file/146083

Nikolis10 October 6th, 2019 8:43 PM

I'm having a similar issue any info on how this worked out my I just had input shaft throwout bearing clutch and fly wheel didnt want to disengage got a new slave and it's better bite point is still low is that normal for the bite point to be close to the floor with a new clutch?