Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Should I remove the oil above the last hole on an oil change?

Search this Thread

Old November 24th, 2017, 5:02 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I remove the oil above the last hole on an oil change?

I have a 2005 Chevrolet Silverado with a 5.3 engine. I checked the manual and it said to fill with 6 qts of oil on a oil change eith filter. Oil was drained while I rotated the tires and greased the front end. Wix filter same size as I removed, short. Refilled with 6qts. Drove it around and checked it and it is a little above the last hole on the dip stick. Is it nessary to remove some of the oil till it is on the last hole? Thanks, Gpaw44
Old November 24th, 2017, 8:30 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

It's good
Old November 25th, 2017, 3:57 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Gpaw44
I have a 2005 Chevrolet Silverado with a 5.3 engine. I checked the manual and it said to fill with 6 qts of oil on a oil change eith filter. Oil was drained while I rotated the tires and greased the front end. Wix filter same size as I removed, short. Refilled with 6qts. Drove it around and checked it and it is a little above the last hole on the dip stick. Is it nessary to remove some of the oil till it is on the last hole? Thanks, Gpaw44
Nope. Like Kevin said, its good. Better to have a little more oil then check the dipstick and its past "low", IMO. Same thing for axles and transmissions. If the vents are working properly, a little too much lubricant wont damage anything in my experiences. If a seal does leak, it was already bad in the first place.