Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Silverado oil pressure issues

Search this Thread

Old December 15th, 2015, 7:58 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Silverado oil pressure issues

First off, specs..
2005 Silverado 1500
5.3 liter V8
207780 miles.
Now, symptoms...
-no oil pressure on a cold start
-lower than normal oil pressure while running
-knocking in idle that increases in volume and frequency when I accelerate.
And finally, answers to simple questions...
-no oil leaking anywhere as far as I can tell.
-I do get oil changed regularly.
-I'm not driving it until it is fixed.

Has anyone got any experience out advice? I GREATLY appreciate any response.

Last edited by Trey Roach; December 15th, 2015 at 9:45 PM. Reason: To rectify misinformation on engine size.
Old December 15th, 2015, 9:12 PM
CF Junior Member

I did not know that the 5.7 liter engine size was available in 2005. Did you possibly mean the 5.3?

Good idea not to drive the vehicle until the engine issue is resolved. I'd start with a check of the oil pressure using a reliable mechanical gauge, but not until I had verified the oil level in the oil pan. I would also be inclined to replace the oil filter, figuring it's a cheap part, and if it was somehow plugged or had a bad bypass valve that it would affect the flow of oil to the oil galleries and ultimately to the crank bearings.

If these don't point to the problem, you are probably looking at an engine teardown.
Old December 15th, 2015, 9:43 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Cowboycoupe
I did not know that the 5.7 liter engine size was available in 2005. Did you possibly mean the 5.3?

Good idea not to drive the vehicle until the engine issue is resolved. I'd start with a check of the oil pressure using a reliable mechanical gauge, but not until I had verified the oil level in the oil pan. I would also be inclined to replace the oil filter, figuring it's a cheap part, and if it was somehow plugged or had a bad bypass valve that it would affect the flow of oil to the oil galleries and ultimately to the crank bearings.

If these don't point to the problem, you are probably looking at an engine teardown.
You are probably right about engine size. I knew it was five point something. (OP will be edited with correct engine) planned on replacing the filter as one of my first moves. Fram is a good brand right? And thanks for the reply.

Last edited by Trey Roach; December 15th, 2015 at 9:44 PM. Reason: To denote edit on op.
Old December 15th, 2015, 10:47 PM
CF Junior Member

OK, the engine is most likely a 5.3, and apparently they are good. I would not consider 207,000 miles too much for an engine that was properly taken care of. I'm not sure if you know the history of the engine. (Oil changes, filters, how it was used)

Fram are not considered the best filters, although I'm sure others may chime in with their own opinions. For what you are doing, which is just investigating, I don't think it much matters what you choose.

If changing the filter does not make a difference, I forgot to mention that the oil pump could be the source of the problem.

Keep this thread going, I'd like to hear what you find out, and I hope you do not have a major engine issue.