Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

still overheating?

Search this Thread

Old December 7th, 2015, 9:46 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default still overheating?

Ok so 2002 silverado 5.3..small leak on water pump so we decided to replace it..put in new pump, new top and bottom raidiator hoses and new thermostat... Truck is still overheating and the heat isint getting hot..new heater core last yr...truck worked fine with exception of leake before we replaced pump..heard about air in the system but no luck trying to burp it? Any ideas please help!
Old December 13th, 2015, 3:39 PM
CF Veteran

so the gauge says its overheating but the heater doesn't blow hot air? sounds like you have a gauge related issue
Old December 13th, 2015, 7:21 PM
CF Junior Member

Based on my 50 plus years of foolin with cars and trucks, I'd say the best guess on this is an air lock in the cooling system. They can be hard to "burp". I prefer, if there's no reason not to, to install one of those hose fittings in the heater hose. You can find them at NAPA. Just make sure you know the hose size before you go to NAPA, as there are different sizes. YOu can open the fitting, and sometimes that's all you have to do. Air will come out, then coolant. Then you shut the fitting. Other times, you have to hook up a garden hose, open the rad cap, and force the air out.
Old December 16th, 2015, 9:10 PM
CF Veteran

see if the heater gets hot if you hold it at 2000rpm for a while
Old December 22nd, 2015, 4:14 AM
CF Beginner

Default update on cooling issue

Ok.. Cowboy thanks for the info, i have tried burping using the method you described. It seemd to work great for days, drove it 150 miles until it started overheating again! Should i leave the cap off untill it stop bubbling in the resivour? Help! I need this truck
Old December 22nd, 2015, 10:30 AM
CF Junior Member

After I fill mine, I leave the rad cap off, turn the heater on full heat, and let the engine idle. Bubbles come up, and you can see them in the rad, you can hear em too. After there are no more bubbles, I top off the rad, then put the cap on. I fill the overflow reservoir to the full cold spot, then drive the truck.

Check it next day when it's cool, and adjust levels. Works for me. Good luck.
Old December 22nd, 2015, 4:45 PM
CF Beginner

Does any thing change if i dont have a rad cap? These trucks you fill through the resivour
Old December 22nd, 2015, 6:32 PM
CF Active Member

i have come across a bad o2 sensor that caused the engine to overheat,boiling out of the coolant resivior.it had a new engine and new pump,rad fan,still over heated.it would usualy take about half an hour to an hour and it would peg the gage and boil over into the coolant resivior.i caught the rear o2 going lean on a scan tool while i was driving the vehicle.there was no engine light on when this happened.just thought i would pass this info on.
Old December 22nd, 2015, 9:32 PM
CF Veteran

still haven't verified if the engine is actually getting hot or just the gauge saying it is....I have a very hard time believing an 02 sensor had anything to do with overheating but I guess if your issue is gone that's what matters
Old December 27th, 2015, 10:32 PM
CF Beginner

The engine is definitely getting hot..could it be a headgasket? I have clean oil