Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

4L80E Transmission issue

Search this Thread

Old December 6th, 2018, 8:35 PM
6oh
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4L80E Transmission issue

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum.

Just bought a 2003 Silverado 2500HD as my winter vehicle that has an issue with the transmission (was a factor in the low price I paid for it), and I'm trying to find out what to expect when I bring it to my transmission guy next week.

The truck has a 6.0 with a 4L80E and 4x4. The concerning issue is that the transmission is slow to get into gear from a stand still. If I don't ease on the throttle slowly it will just climb in RPMs and not move, then kick in to gear when I let off and the RPMs drop (this happened on an incline earlier and it actually stalled out instead of kicking in to gear). Once it gets moving it shifts smoothly and quickly with no issues, and 4x4 works fine. The trans fluid is dark, but has no shavings in it and it's within the temperature markings, also the dash temperature gauge shows the temp around 130. It encounters another issue at around 55-65 MPH of feeling like it's driving on a rumble strip, so I haven't taken it any faster than that.

I'm not an expert by any means but to me it seems like an issue with the converter maybe? It's a great truck otherwise, just hoping this issue isn't too catastrophic. 4L80es are relatively cheap on craigslist around here but hopefully I don't have to go that route.

Anyways, just hoping to get some insight of what to expect, from people a lot more knowledgeable than me, thanks in advance!