Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Trans puke on hard pull???

Search this Thread

Old June 12th, 2017, 9:07 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Trans puke on hard pull???

So I've had my truck for just over a year, and while she's no spring chicken, it ain't beat to crap either. Doesn't get worked hard often, hardest thing it does is pull our boat on occasion.

Yesterday heading home from the lake in a 30mph headwind, from what we can tell it spit some fluid out of the vent tube. Up to now we've had no trans issues.

Got it back to my brothers and noticed the undercarriage was coated, and the front of the boat was covered. Checked the fluid level, and it seems over full.
Let it be known it was checked when I first got it not by me, but either my son or my brother and given the thumbs up. I already have plans (before this happened) to do the 200k service, fluid/filter change, transfer case fluid change.

Since this happened I have cleaned it off and ran it a bit and haven't had any further leaking/puking, so my thought is this:
At one point on the trip home we were going up a hill, and I noticed speed starting to drop, (dropped to just above 50, we were doing 60 in 75 anyhow because the boat trailer tires have low speed rating) and I just tapped the throttle, tow/haul was on so it was in 3rd anyhow, but once I tapped the throttle it downshifted to 2nd and was WOT, (4k rpm) I'm thinking this is when it puked. Again going into a 30mph headwind, so she was working pretty hard.

Does this sound about right, or does anyone else have any theories?

No lights came on, no warnings, truck ran just fine the whole way cept for the puking part. No overheating, was running ever so slightly warmer than usual, maybe right at the 210 mark, no trans temp, but it's got the trans cooler. about 90* ambient temp.
Old June 13th, 2017, 8:08 AM
Super Moderator

Received 511 Likes on 471 Posts

the fluid got hot and expanded...vented out the dipstick....maybe it was over filled but checking the fluid level when its hot after being worked that hard isn't accurate and will show it overfull.

check the fluid after a 3 mile drive. the hot level is used when the dipstick is hot to the touch.
Old June 13th, 2017, 8:53 AM
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by tech2
the fluid got hot and expanded...vented out the dipstick....maybe it was over filled but checking the fluid level when its hot after being worked that hard isn't accurate and will show it overfull.

check the fluid after a 3 mile drive. the hot level is used when the dipstick is hot to the touch.
Rock on, thanks, it's a 3 mile drive to work, so I'll check it again today.
Old June 17th, 2017, 6:04 PM
Super Moderator

Received 511 Likes on 471 Posts

if the trans fluid it at the correct level, the dipstick is seated correctly....but this continues to happen when towing....its possible you are just over working the transmission. the fix is to get a truck with a larger towing capacity.
Old June 18th, 2017, 7:22 PM
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by tech2
if the trans fluid it at the correct level, the dipstick is seated correctly....but this continues to happen when towing....its possible you are just over working the transmission. the fix is to get a truck with a larger towing capacity.
Lol. Only if I get a really, really big promotion at work, and I don't see that happening...

But like I said it was kinda the perfect storm of hard work for the old girl... 60mph dragging a boat, with the cruise on and a/c going...