Notices
2007 - 2013 (GMT900) Section for all discussion related to the 2007-2013 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.
Old August 10th, 2015, 11:17 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

2008 Silverado Radio/Speakers issue

Search this Thread

Old August 20th, 2016, 6:00 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Front Speaker Issues

Thought I would get on here and look for an answer but I see a lot of people having similar problems.

1. Sometimes when you stop somewhere and take off again the speakers do not come on, when I get back in hours later they do.

2. Noticed a few weeks ago front speakers not working.

3. I had a few occasions where I got a loud static feedback through something. I put this question in the wrong place, I have a 2003 Suburban (which I love).

I was wondering if it was a circuit breaker or something to do with one of the fuses, that I don't know about.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Catfan1963; August 20th, 2016 at 6:03 AM.
Old August 20th, 2016, 6:25 AM
CF Junior Member

Your OEM speakers are direct wired to the radio. No circuit breaker. Odds are that your speakers are bad. OEM speakers are junk. Just replacing them with quality speakers solves most people's problems. I have never had a problem since I replaced mine, and the sound quality is excellent.
Old September 26th, 2016, 4:17 AM
CF Beginner

Default Cause of Door speakers and cruise issue

My 08 1500 LT Extended cab has a similar issue. I live in the north east where it's extremely humid in summer and super wet in winter. As a result of poor workmanship when install the door panels and not sealing them properly, leads to moisture (humidity is the worse) building up in the cheap wires and cheap connectors. The reason they work in heat (78 degrees Fahrenheit and higher as far as I can tell) is the moisture evaporates for awhile and becomes vapor, which reduces the amount of resistance to the speakers and allows music to play for a short time (till the temp drops or humidity rises. I've looked over the schematics and can't see where the cruise control plays into the the radio, speakers, or even onstar. I can take a pic of the schematics if and send it to anyone who needs it.
Old September 26th, 2016, 4:20 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by phness
Your OEM speakers are direct wired to the radio. No circuit breaker. Odds are that your speakers are bad. OEM speakers are junk. Just replacing them with quality speakers solves most people's problems. I have never had a problem since I replaced mine, and the sound quality is excellent.

As you can see there is a fuse block on the front speakers, but not the rear. I don't like how they run the door speakers through the tweeters but that's engineers for you
Old November 2nd, 2016, 7:16 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2008 Silverado 2500 Duramax speaker issues

I am having the same issues with my speakers as well. I have a 2008, 2500 LT1 package with only 56,000 miles and none of the rear speakers, or the driver front door speakers are working at all. The front left pillar speaker is really weak. My driver front door lock is also intermittent as well both with the door switch and the key fob. I have not noticed any issues with my cruise control or any obvious signs of water entry into the doors. Although, I have not opened them up as of yet. The truck is obviously not under warranty and I laughed at myself after taking it to a dealer when he got half way through his list of possible things he was trying to charge me. I then left. Any success people have had would be appreciated.

Last edited by coachcurtis2010; November 2nd, 2016 at 7:21 PM. Reason: Felt picture took up too much of thread so I removed it as I could not find a smaller one.
Old November 7th, 2016, 9:59 AM
CF Beginner

this sounds like a speaker wire ground/short problem...if you can hear your speakers in and out really fast and constant.. it may be a simple short to metal somewhere...assuming you tried the connectors and they are sound. you can put a meter set to continuity settings with vehicle off and sound system off and lay the back led off your meter to the negitive of any ground on the vehicle... and the red lead on the positive side of the speaker at the speaker plug in.. and wiggle wires from the speaker back towards the radio while watching the meter .. any digital or needle type meter will show some indication of movement or numbers.. if this happens you know there is a short on the positive wire of that speaker.. and if you dont get a meter reading.. on that positive side of the speaker wire.. you should be good for that wire...if there is an open in the ground, meter the ground on continuity setting and see if your needle pops up.. youre good..this shows for example the positive wire to your single speaker is probibly open intermittently.. and your ground should show good for ground.
if there were a "real" short ..your radio fuse will have been blown... this shows us that the speaker wires are open and closing .. not working then working intermittantely....and testing the positive wire will prove this. should be simple now to run down the open/close of the wire..you can also use an amp meter a wireless one..that will show your where the open is. you can purchase these amp testers for wire shorts and opens at any good googled online store.
Kat
Old February 14th, 2017, 11:09 AM
CF Beginner

My 07 chevy suburban done this as well i replaced the speakers in the front doors and back doors. well the problem was fixed in the back doors. the front doors only worked for about 2 minutes and cut back off. My audio guy said it was prolly a amp issue and recommended an aftermarket radio to bypass the factory amp. i have not installed a new radio yet to see if this works. anyone else have.
Old March 23rd, 2017, 7:56 AM
CF Beginner

Default Still crap and Chevy remains silent

So after pages of forum posts about junk speakers and electronics issues it is frustrating to see the only common response from gm "take it in to service and let some one look at it" I shouldn't need to bring a vehicle that has been having the same issues for 15 years in for service! This should have been resolved and our issued a recall long ago. The radio not working correctly is one thing, but the fact all the warning and signal chimes are affected as well presents a safety issue and I hope someone hands their butt too them in court over the complacency gm exhibits! My 2013 silverado is displaying the same defect, there is more than enough data available for gm to handle this.
Signed
Bowtie for life, but they sure make it hard to stay that way.
Old March 24th, 2017, 10:22 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Well, don't sugar coat it Eric, tell us how you really feel...
Old March 25th, 2017, 1:27 AM
CF Beginner

Default Brake switch

Originally Posted by Joshc22
I have the same problem. I can tap my brake and it will let my cruise work sometimes. Did you ever hear anything about this??
clean the brake switch at the pedal or replace it. The brake cancels the cruise control. That is why it works sometimes.

Quick Reply: 2008 Silverado Radio/Speakers issue