Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   2007 - 2013 (GMT900) (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/2007-2013-gmt900-109/)
-   -   Checking check engine light code without scanner (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/2007-2013-gmt900-109/checking-check-engine-light-code-without-scanner-94992/)

pmhanson1 April 8th, 2019 7:53 PM

Checking check engine light code without scanner

I would like to be able to check my check engine code with out the scanner. Its inconvenient and should be doable without one. My Nissan you play with the ignition and brakes and it blinks it out for you. I have searched a lot and am not finding the information I need for it to display the codes and erase them. I have a 2010 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD with a 6.0L

Does anyone know the steps you must take to initiate the code display with long and short blinks? Thanks

Irish_alley April 8th, 2019 8:51 PM

gm does have some uses for the brakes and headlight switch but i dont ever recall a way to check the CEL, except for the pre 96 vehicles (obd1). they do cell cheap small readers for under $30 that you could keep in the glovebox or a tool box

mountainmanjoe April 8th, 2019 10:02 PM

As far as I know, you need a tool for a 2010.

Kazoocruiser April 8th, 2019 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by pmhanson1 (Post 425982)
I would like to be able to check my check engine code with out the scanner. Its inconvenient and should be doable without one. My Nissan you play with the ignition and brakes and it blinks it out for you. I have searched a lot and am not finding the information I need for it to display the codes and erase them. I have a 2010 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD with a 6.0L

Does anyone know the steps you must take to initiate the code display with long and short blinks? Thanks

I don't. But if you figure out how to pull up any codes without a reader on a post '96 vehicle I would sure be interested in how you do it.

harveyspecter April 9th, 2019 2:10 AM

Originally Posted by pmhanson1 (Post 425982)
For best OBD2 scan tools click here

Hello!
On older GM cars, you've could bridge two pins on OBD port, using a piece of wire. This would give you a 'blink code' - effectivly, a check engine light would blink, giving a two digit code.
But, this will not work on a 2010 car.
I am sure you have a smartphone, right? Why not getting a bluetooth OBD2 adapter and an application like Torque lite or similar.

tech2 April 9th, 2019 7:39 PM

kazoocruiser is correct. anything obdI….ie 95 and older can flash out codes. anything 96 and newer is obdII and require a scan tool.

Nissan were allowed more time to be obdII compliant cause they couldn't get there **** together in time...they had both obdI and obdII diagnostic connectors until 2000 on some models.

Gregg Garcias April 15th, 2019 4:27 AM

Originally Posted by harveyspecter (Post 426009)
Hello!
On older GM cars, you've could bridge two pins on OBD port, using a piece of wire. This would give you a 'blink code' - effectivly, a check engine light would blink, giving a two digit code.
But, this will not work on a 2010 car.
I am sure you have a smartphone, right? Why not getting a bluetooth OBD2 adapter and an application like Torque lite or similar.

Exactly! When I was looking for complex analysis of my car's health, I just needed something, that could help me in the transformation of your smartphone and tablet into an automotive scan tool of professional grade. The previous OBD I had - couldn't offer me such thing. But then I could find obd2 bluetooth on https://bestforacar.com, and furthermore, reading this comparison article, I've found some features I've never known about bluetooth scanners.