Notices
2014 - 2018 (GMT-K2) Section for all discussion related to the 2014 - 2018 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Just bought a 2015 HD2500. Nav sucks...

Search this Thread

Old February 16th, 2015, 10:08 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy GPS Problem Un-fixable?

I thought I was the only one with the problem! We now have a 2015 Tahoe and a 2014 Silverado with navigation systems that require us to take along a Garmin GPS unit when we go on trips, or when we require navigation to get us to an unknown location. If it were not an expensive option, it could be one of those "funny little irritations" that you sometimes have to overlook - unfortunately, with today's technology, it is neither funny or an irritation - it is a black eye that apparently can't/won't go away! It will be interesting to see how many posts we can accumulate before there is an attempt by GM to attempt a solution - and not one that requires numerous trips back to the dealer to "see if this works". The irony of all this is we requested this specific option!
Old February 23rd, 2015, 9:09 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, if it is any consolation, a lot of commercial semi trucks, the fleets are putting qualcomm navigation setups in them. I have one. I always check routes via a good Rand McNally map, and google maps, before trusting any on board nav system. They are fine tools, and generally are ok, but I never trust only one source of routing. The heavy truck varieties, if you don't watch out, will have you turning 80,000 lb of 70 foot long truck down a road you wouldn't want to take more than a dedicated off road vehicle on. It will then try to have a fit with you and refuse to cooperate when you turn down a road that is indeed good for heavy trucks, but the nav system doesn't think so. Then it will refuse to work again until you get off that road it doesn't like. A total PITA.

So, for my 2015 2500HD LT Z71..... I probably will not use the nav thing at all. Not that it is necessarily a bad thing, but after well over 4 million miles traversing the U.S., it is rare I ever need to have the help from a nav system anyway, and for those rare cases, I like to just use my iPhone with google maps.
Old June 7th, 2015, 11:03 AM
CF Beginner

Default Nav Sucks

Originally Posted by guvner
Funny Chevrolet people here asked me to private message them and they've never gotten back to me.

Let me put this a little more exact.

You have a very embarrassing product. Blaming Here Drive for it won't pass muster. You should make them do what you paid them to do. I wouldn't have a programmer working for me with that little ability.

Today's gem was going on a highway they should have used on the route. (It was on their map.) As I headed north through the correct, direct, faster route, the GPS continually tried to get me to turn around until the last 3 miles of the 21 mile highway were almost up when it suddenly told me to go the next 3 miles and then refigured it's ETA to save me more time then it had originally had estimated before I went the correct way. As usual though I clicked Google maps on my cell phone and could see that it was still figuring an extra hour to get home.

Very embarrassing. Don't order the GPS from GM. I mean it. It's a joke.

Guvner..
Hands down the worst nav I've ever seen or used. Unless I'm doing something wrong. It's terrible!!
Old June 13th, 2015, 11:06 PM
CF Active Member

Hyundai Sonata will be the first car with Android Auto. I would love to hold out for Chevy to implement this in their trucks. YEAH GOOGLE MAPS!!!
Old July 12th, 2015, 5:57 PM
CF Beginner

Default Navigation platform sucks

I recently traded my 2012 GMC Yukon for the 2015 Chevy Suburban. The Nav in the 2012 was easy to use and the Estimated Time of Arrival continuously recalculated based on recent average speed.

The Nav in the 2015 sucks. It is NOT easy to use. It is NOT intuitive. The ETA calculator is a complete joke. Some computer engineer moron was either too clever by half or is simply incompetent. I log a lot of miles each year and estimating my time of arrival is important. This platform is horrible.

I've read several posts going back to the 2014 model and it sounds like this is a common problem. But Chevy hasn't fixed it? Have I said that the Nav sucks?

Has Chevy contacted anyone regarding their current status?
Old July 13th, 2015, 7:30 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought a new 2014 GMC 3500HD for towing a 39' fifth wheel. Nav system was already installed...bought it off the lot. Has towing package and all the bells and whistles, but...unless I'm missing something, the nav will not allow entry of a trailer length, height, or anything else. Towing package...really? Also takes us on weird routes even when not towing the trailer. I bought a Garmin for RV's and use it instead. Not impressed with the factory unit. Is there a difference between the 2014 and the 2015? I have used the GM unit when I don't want to bother with hooking up the Garmin, but it has trouble locating Points of Interest that the Garmin finds every time. It can't seem to find a business I'm sitting right in front of, and sends me to an address that says it's an RV park, but all there is is a bunch of houses. I don't really care about estimated time of arrival...not hard to guess pretty close. I'm old enough to still remember paper maps! Is there an upgrade? Recall? Covered under warranty? Yeah, right! Radio sounds great, though.

Last edited by meternerd; July 13th, 2015 at 7:42 PM.
Old July 16th, 2015, 1:29 PM
Former Sponsor

I've noticed a lot of nav systems are still crappy for some reason. Not like we haven't had enough time to figure it out yet or anything... :P
Old July 20th, 2015, 1:12 PM
CF Beginner

Angry Fix for GPS Issues?

I recently bought a Suburban LTZ 2015 with this horrendous GPS System.. I believed it was just me as well, but seems like GM did it again..

Has anybody found an upgrade/fix for this very bad user experience? We should consider a Class Action LS, since this is affecting so many of us, that paid a non-trivial amount of money for this..

We are talking about very expensive trucks, the Mylink/GPS capabilities are not impressive.

In addition to it, I can not understand the reason that the Aux connectors are RCA!!! I had a very upset son on our last road trip (11 hours), when he was not able to connect his PS4.. which needed HDMI...

I can go on and on.. regarding issues I've found on this POS...
Old July 21st, 2015, 7:03 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The GPS unit in just about every vehicle Ive ever driven is good for 1 thing : to provide a flat surface to stick your iphone on to use google maps.

Hey let me know how the door locks are doing in the 2015's. I looked at one the other day and see the interior door skin is a bit different but seems like same mechanism within. I wonder if the door locks will start failing like they are in the 2007-2014 models. If anyone has a P/N for a 2015 actuator, let me know. I'd love to crack 1 open and see if GM is still using the bad motors they apparently bought a billion of.
Old August 4th, 2015, 1:40 PM
CF Beginner

Just got a 2013 Suburban and the NAV is not useable. It constantly wants to send me on side streets and in the middle of nowhere even when "fastest" or "easiest" is selected. Plus only the biggest streets are shown on the map, otherwise the screen shows you driving across blankness (although it does display street name on bottom of screen)

Quick Reply: Just bought a 2015 HD2500. Nav sucks...