Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   2014 - 2018 (GMT-K2) (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/2014-2018-gmt-k2-110/)
-   -   New 2016 Silverado Crew-Cab LS 4x4 (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/2014-2018-gmt-k2-110/new-2016-silverado-crew-cab-ls-4x4-76713/)

Maverick1701 February 11th, 2016 9:25 PM

New 2016 Silverado Crew-Cab LS 4x4

4 Attachment(s)
*fresh pictures with markings several posts down*

Since 2013 I have been running a 2012 Tahoe 4x4 SSV for patrol use (each deputy is assigned their own take-home 4x4). Our three year lease is up...so those tahoes go back. Our new vehicles will be delivered tomorrow (friday 2/12) by the upfitter.

This go-round we decided to go back to pickups for patrol units. Our Tahoes were great but we were tearing them up on our poor roads (only 8 roads in my county are paved), on grass fires, etc.

I will be issued a 2016 Silverado CC 4x4 black in color. Obviously it will have all the police markings, police lights, siren, light-bar etc. We are going to install a headache rack & cam-locker toolbox in the bed. I will be mounting a go-light to the headache rack along with a few other odds/ends. I am also probably going to plasti-dip all the chrome stuff (we see A LOT of poaching around here so being able to be super-sneaky at night around hunters is a HUGE benefit).

I am going to add some kind of off-road lighting to the front (maybe dual 10in ARB intensity lights). We have a large amount of deer/hogs in this area. I like to be able to see all the little furry creatures who like to cross the roadways at night. The model/size of light I choose is going to depend on how much space I have on the grill guard (i will know tomorrow after the arrive). On my tahoe I bought a LED bar style driving light. It worked well...but I am going to keep that for my personal ride (since I purchased it).

One thing we specified on to the upfitter was to have 4 switched outputs run to the grill area, and 2 run to the rear area of the truck. These are relayed/fused/etc. These will be used for any offroad lights we decide to install, rear floods, etc. The rear floods will be nice when we tow/prep our Sheriff's Office ATVs. Obviously these lights are not wired into the emergency lighting system.

Attached are some cell phone pictures sent to us today from the up-fitter company. I will take better pictures tomorrow with a real camera.

fishing nut February 13th, 2016 8:39 PM

Looks awesome. Enjoy the truck they are great. I enjoy my 2015

Maverick1701 February 13th, 2016 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by fishing nut (Post 316594)
Looks awesome. Enjoy the truck they are great. I enjoy my 2015

Thanks! I have been loving it. The ride is SUPER smooth & the motor is so quiet I have trouble hearing it even when I exit the truck.

Maverick1701 February 14th, 2016 5:13 PM

2 Attachment(s)
The rigs were striped friday afternoon. We also installed all our law enforcement gear that was not installed by the upfitter (like our MDTs).

Our headache racks & toolboxes should be here tuesday.

Maverick1701 February 14th, 2016 5:17 PM

2 Attachment(s)
some more pictures. I have to split up the photos otherwise the forum claims I do not have the token to upload.

Maverick1701 February 14th, 2016 5:27 PM

2 Attachment(s)
After 2-3 days of driving the new rig I am impressed. The vehicle rides SUPER smooth. It seems to float down the road with minimal road noise/vibration/etc.

Last night I had a major emergency call. I responded code three at speeds ranging from 60-85 (depending on the road conditions). Even while travelling at 85mph down the highway, it feels like I was travelling 60 (due to the smooth nature of the truck).

After adjusting my seat I found the leg room & headroom to be GREAT (I am 6ft 6in tall). Chevrolet included quite a few handy programmable features (selecting which doors lock/unlock, lighting specifications, etc).

I am not a Chevrolet guy but I can definitely appreciate a finely made vehicle. This rig is one of the nicest trucks I have driven.

Maverick1701 February 17th, 2016 1:02 AM

Our Cam-Locker brand headache racks and toolboxes arrived this morning. I installed mine just after lunch. I will snap some pictures tomorrow and post up.

Out rigs look GREAT now that they are (mostly) setup. Pics tomorrow.

WilliamSS February 22nd, 2016 5:48 PM

Great looking truck!
Thank you for your impressions and the pics.

Maverick1701 February 25th, 2016 10:47 PM

2 Attachment(s)
headache rack/toolbox pics

Maverick1701 February 25th, 2016 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by WilliamSS (Post 317137)
Great looking truck!
Thank you for your impressions and the pics.

Thanks!! We are quite pleased with our new rigs.

Maverick1701 February 26th, 2016 6:19 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I am working a motorbike enduro race this weekend. The race is based just outside of the town in which I live. I snapped some pictures of my patrol vehicle hooked up to my trailer w/my ATV ready for the weekend. enjoy the pics.

My truck is not complete at this point. I have a few more toys I am going to add (but this is not the entire to-do list)
things coming in the near future:
finish my CB install (wiring complete. waiting on ebay for my cb to arrive cobra 18wxstII)
2m/70cm dual band radio install
install my golight
install driving lights (looking at hella 4000s, or maybe off-brand ARB intensity lights combined with a light-bar... I am still doing research).
Driving at night out here is pretty dangerous. We have A LOT of furry creatures which enjoy darting across the highways (large hogs, larger deer, and cattle). Being able to see the bar-ditches as well as the roadways at night is a necessity.

fishing nut February 27th, 2016 4:31 PM

Originally Posted by Maverick1701 (Post 317395)
I am working a motorbike enduro race this weekend. The race is based just outside of the town in which I live. I snapped some pictures of my patrol vehicle hooked up to my trailer w/my ATV ready for the weekend. enjoy the pics.

My truck is not complete at this point. I have a few more toys I am going to add (but this is not the entire to-do list)
things coming in the near future:
finish my CB install (wiring complete. waiting on ebay for my cb to arrive cobra 18wxstII)
2m/70cm dual band radio install
install my golight
install driving lights (looking at hella 4000s, or maybe off-brand ARB intensity lights combined with a light-bar... I am still doing research).
Driving at night out here is pretty dangerous. We have A LOT of furry creatures which enjoy darting across the highways (large hogs, larger deer, and cattle). Being able to see the bar-ditches as well as the roadways at night is a necessity.

The trucks looking good.

Maverick1701 June 3rd, 2016 11:07 AM

Well 10,000 miles on the odometer and my truck needs a new transmission (not the fault of chevrolet). My truck only had 1st gear and (sometimes) 2nd gear....which is obviously a problem for a patrol vehicle. We had it towed to the dealership last thursday.

It is no secret that TX has been dealing with some hellacious flooding over the past two weeks. When the dealership tore into my transmission they found nasty flood water, mud, nemo, etc. Apparently my transmission had sucked in some flood water during our flooding/high-water rescues/etc we had experienced during our bout with flooding.

Cost to repair: 4388.05
The new transmission should be at the dealership next week...then I can get my truck back (I miss it).

Maverick1701 June 28th, 2016 1:18 AM

I picked up my truck from the dealership about 2 weeks ago. The dealership was looking to repair vs install a new trans...that is until they opened up my transmission and found nemo.
Apparently when they popped the case they found nasty muddy swamp water & mud throughout the trans. The truck is running great w/the new transmission. I missed having more than one forward gear.

extremeadventurer June 29th, 2016 7:21 AM

Your truck looks great!

Maverick1701 October 23rd, 2016 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by extremeadventurer (Post 323949)
Your truck looks great!

Thanks! we are very proud of them.

Maverick1701 October 23rd, 2016 11:17 PM

I placed an order for some driving lights for my work truck. After doing about 2months worth of hunting around I decided on the 9in ARB intensity clones made by cree.
I purchased the 185watt model, NOT the 96w. They should be arriving weds. I will do a full writeup/thread about them once I get them installed.

These are what I bought: New Pair 185W 9 inch Cree LED Work Light Fog Lamp Headlight Jeep 4WD SUV Truck | eBay

I was on the fence about these lights until I saw this video:

JK23112 October 24th, 2016 7:47 PM

WOW!! Awesome to see a nice Chevy truck patrolling your county. No doubt you can go places that would be off limits to a Crown Vic, Impala or Charger. Thank you so much for sharing the photos. (I was a deputy sheriff almost fifteen years ago and all we had were Crown Vics.)

Keep up the good work and be safe!!

Maverick1701 October 26th, 2016 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by JK23112 (Post 328989)

WOW!! Awesome to see a nice Chevy truck patrolling your county. No doubt you can go places that would be off limits to a Crown Vic, Impala or Charger. Thank you so much for sharing the photos. (I was a deputy sheriff almost fifteen years ago and all we had were Crown Vics.)

Keep up the good work and be safe!!

Thank you sir! We could not operate with cars for patrol vehicles. My county is VERY rural/remote with only a few paved roads (The one US hwy, our 3 state hwys, and 5 FM roads are all the paved roads we have. All county roads are unpaved/sand/dirt/mud). Our vehicles HAVE to be equipped with 4x4 otherwise we would not be able to answer calls in the county...especially during the winter/rainy months.
It is always a pleasure to meet other law enforcement.

My driving lights should be here tomorrow. My plan is to install them Thursday when I get to work. I will do a write-up on the install/quality/etc.

JK23112 October 26th, 2016 12:26 PM

I was a deputy sheriff for a rural (but rapidly becoming suburban) county here in VA. We could get most anywhere with a regular squad car - except when we got significant snow or just about any amount of ice. We had a Ford Expedition, a Ford Explorer, a Dodge Durango and a Dodge Ram pickup -- all of which were unmarked and were 4-wheel-drive. While they came in handy during inclement weather, they were not real police-package vehicles. NOTHING like the fine ride you have, though. :-)

That county has changed a lot since then, though, and their assortment of vehicles has expanded greatly. They have Chargers, Ram trucks, at least one Caprice (unmarked), several new Explorer SUVs and a plethora of Taurus sedans. They still have a few old Crown Vics in the fleet - but I think they are "spare" cars that deputies use when their normal car is in the shop. Every deputy is issued his/her own vehicle from the start; which helps a lot with longevity. It's not uncommon for one person to put on 30,000 to 40,000 miles a year.

P.S. Stay safe out there and keep the photos coming!

Maverick1701 October 27th, 2016 4:48 PM

6 Attachment(s)
I installed the lights today at work. The whole process took a bit over an hour. When we ordered our vehicles we ordered an extra switch box with the wires pre-run to the front & back of the vehicle just for items such as these. This meant the hard wiring was already done (running wires from inside cab to outside body area). All I had to do was attach a positive + neg to each light....and done. I already had the holes aligned from the red/blue light bar mounted on the bottom of my grill guard. I used the original holes from the light bar plus a 2nd set of holes with the supplied hardware for extra secure mounting. The supplied hardware is BEEFY. The mounting bolt is 3/4 in size!! I was impressed.

Last night I made a make-shift paint booth in my shop room and painted my mounts back (they came as bare metal). This was done because I wasn't sure if they were aluminum or steel. The magnet I had reacted to the brackets just barely...and only on the welds. I also noticed a small spot of corrosion on the weld (pin-head size). I decided to err on the side of caution and throw on a layer of paint (flat black enamel) to protect the metal. Also it better matches my truck.

I will go out and snap some night shots + video this evening. I will post up sometime this week. These lights are BRIGHT in daylight. I can't wait to see how they fair at night.
My truck makes a good test-bed for lights, being a patrol unit we see all kinds of road types (only a few roads in my county are paved) to include corrugations, dirt, mud, snow, sand, etc. combined with very heavy duty use. I will report back soon

I had been wanting a set of these for quite some time. This was the video that made my bite the bullet and place my order:

Maverick1701 October 27th, 2016 10:59 PM

2 Attachment(s)
After the sun went down I ran some county roads to test my new lights. I am impressed.
I snapped a few pics with my canon30D and attempted a video with the gopro but my hero3 doesn't really like low light (see video).

I have experienced one small issue with my lights. This issue only occurs with one radio station 92.1... all other stations work great (there aren't many radio stations out this far). When my driving lights are turned on, radio station 92.1 will fade to static. It is not a big issue for me since I normally (99% of the time) listen to podcasts/music via my in car computer/MDT...but it is a potential issue for others to be aware of before buying.

GoPro Video night test attempt:

PICTURE 1: Vehicle low-beam

PICTURE 2: Vehicle low-beam + driving lights

Kenny2 January 12th, 2017 4:08 PM

Very nice rig!
Not much room in that back seat.
Didn't have those in the Corps, '76.
Did have a few 'in-custodies' "jump out of the bed" thou during transport! :>)

RLC2 July 20th, 2022 8:12 PM

Originally Posted by Maverick1701 (Post 328942)
Thanks! we are very proud of them.

Thanks Sheriff for sharing this info- resurrecting this old thread to ask, how have these trucks held up since initial purchase?
What make model did you roll into after these leases expired?