Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   2014 - 2018 (GMT-K2) (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/2014-2018-gmt-k2-110/)
-   -   Transmission Issues On my 2016 LTZ (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/2014-2018-gmt-k2-110/transmission-issues-my-2016-ltz-94176/)

pander February 8th, 2019 7:45 PM

Transmission Issues On my 2016 LTZ

Hello All;

New to the site and I know this topic must have been listed before but here it is again.

I just purchased a 16 Crew/LTZ with 23,000 miles on it and noticed the transmission issue just after I bought it. I am the 3rd owner (maybe the tranny is the reason why, lol). I absolutely LOVE the truck, it looks awesome, inside and out. The only problem, the 8 speed transmission. Other manufactures have an 8 speed transmission but GM must have woke up and said "lets build an 8 speed trans, oh and add a few issues that will take us 4 years to fix". Mine has the shudder at low speeds up to 50 mph and 6th gear seems to be the worst and always around town driving. It also has the surging down shifts (felt like it was going to push out into traffic today). I have an appointment at Carl Black in Orlando on Wednesday for transmission service under warranty (thank god for the warranty). I called another dealer who said a new Tech Bulletin came out this week recommending the flush. I had heard GM says to go with Mobil 1 and not their own fluid. As I see it, getting it into the dealer while under warranty now to build a record. Bug the hell out of the dealers and when the magic bullet does come out in maybe February, I will at least have the issues documented. I predict new transmissions or new torgue converters. Really all these modern transmissions are controlled electronically so my bet is on a programming problem and maybe the wrong fluid. I also heard Corvettes and Cadillacs have the same issue with their 8 speed transmissions.

Anyone heard of the fix in February or had any luck at the dealer fixing the problem? Oh I do have the Range Technologies AFM disabler in, helped for awhile. I used it in my 13 Silverado (great 6 speed transmission, lol) Thanks all.

tech2 February 9th, 2019 12:22 PM

maybe reprogramming will adjust how the tcc applies. if you stomp on it does the shudder go away?

pander February 9th, 2019 12:52 PM

Not really that I noticed. I did find out at 50 mph the shudder is the worst. Also noted a little bit of a rough idle at lights. As you accelerated it also shudders and appears to "buck" a little. At 50 mph in traffic when I put it in manual, it is in 6th gear. I moved my appointment up from Wednesday to Monday. I will let them try and fix it. If they don't fix it I may end up trading it on a Ram before I even make the first payment, lol.

tech2 February 9th, 2019 4:58 PM

Phone ahead of time and tell them you want to test drive with the shop foreman or tranny tech...point out the problem as its happening...wait there if they can't do it immediately. this will prevent a no fault found. if you want this fixed, you gotta get it to the right tech.

pander February 9th, 2019 11:05 PM

Ok, thanks. I noticed tonight that at almost all speeds even at 80 with the cruise set, it had the "shudder" and vibrated the dash, steering and mirrors. I also noticed everytime it did it the RPM's jumped a couple of hundred. Tran temp was 189-192. When I left the tran temp was around 120 and did do it as much. As soon as the temp got above 140 it did the same exact thing as before, 80 mph, shudder and vibration.