Notices
2014 - 2018 (GMT-K2) Section for all discussion related to the 2014 - 2018 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

2014 Silverado AC Problems Already?

Search this Thread

Old April 19th, 2017, 10:51 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Add me to the list of issues with the A/C unit in the new generation Silverados.

I bought my truck used from a Chevy dealership in Dallas and had it brought up to Arizona with about 12k miles on it. At 22,000 miles last June the A/C stopped working and Chapman Chevrolet in Tempe diagnosed that it had the bracket issue which resulted in a hose failure. They replaced that under warranty at about 21,000 miles. Now ten months later with 38,500 miles on it the A/C gave out again and the service advisor called me to let me know that it needs a new compressor, new fittings and of course a complete evacuation of the system.. basically a $1000 day. He also told me that my air filter needed to be replaced (it is a freshly-serviced K&N filter) and my cabin filter should be replaced (again, a brand-new K&N) which makes me suspicious of their overall diagnosis.

I guess at the end of the day, the money really isn't the issue, it is the failure of a known bad design impacting the rest of the system and GM not doing anything to create goodwill for the consumer. I have serviced hundreds of vehicles and know that they aren't perfect, but when a manufacturer has a problem like this in a high-volume seller like the Silverado it should cause them to provide a little goodwill.

Has anyone considered contacting a lawyer to see if there might be grounds for a class action lawsuit?
Old April 19th, 2017, 11:54 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by tech2
oh well your covered then. Chevy will start the recalls any time now. People in my trailer park are celebrating.
Chevrolet Silverado a BIG POS. Don't buy one.
Old April 19th, 2017, 4:41 PM
CF Beginner

Default So my condenser is halfway missing

so if you look behind the a arm you can see my condenser and the entire side missing
So its not the best picture. But if you look behind the A arm you can see my condenser has literally lost the entire side. I lost a/c April of 2017, my warranty is up in July. I have 28,000 miles on my 2014 Silverado 1500. I was blown away. They told me they think it built up too much pressure and blew off the entire side. My dealership was waiting on GM to make the call of fixing just the condenser or everything including the lines. GM said fix it all. They told me we want it fixed the first time so you wont be back,. I am disappointed that my new truck already has this type of maintenance. I don't believe that pressure was the cause, I think it may have cracked and vibration finished the rest. I will be making sure that my warranty for that replacement part will be extended. My tech told me that this is the second one he has seen like this. Luckily they gave me a loaner truck and they will call me when fixed. This better be the last time I mess with this for awhile. As a factory rat we put a lot of pride building these trucks, way more than the company does on its parts. All we can do is assemble with the parts they supply us, but its not like they don't hear the complaints from us on a daily basis of the junk parts we get. But what do I know, I am just the monkey that puts it together on a daily basis. GM listen to your customers, and workers!!! The number one goal is to build a quality product so do it! you got to dish a little coin to get the good parts. You get what you pay for now give your customers what they pay for!
Old April 19th, 2017, 7:10 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

this would make a good complaint letter if it was sent to the right place. All of you should contact chevy customer service 800 number and the nhtsa. This is just a automotive repair forum and is no way associated with chevy corporate.
Old April 25th, 2017, 7:24 PM
CF Beginner

Well I too am unlucky enough to have a defective 2014 Silverado. 40K miles and air blowing hot just in time for summer. Out of warranty, so Chevy could care less. Gjovik Chevy, the dealer I purchased from in Sandwich, Illinois (2nd new car purchased there) wants to charge me $125 to make the diagnosis "Yep, it's broken!" Sort of adds insult to injury. I'm going to have it fixed somewhere else, get rid of it, and say "goodbye GM."
Old April 25th, 2017, 8:40 PM
CF Beginner

My 2014 Z71 4x4 has had more than it's fair share of problems. I waited till my oil change was due and took it in today. Of course they found my compressor body missing and found a tear in my serpentine belt at the same time. Expressed my disappointment with the issue. Asked kindly if Chevrolet would be picking up the bill. When the Chevrolet dealer declined I asked them to go ahead with the repair and asked how much would it cost? More than $1400, I replied the option did not cost that much new. I asked them when they could do work, because I would like to head down to the Ford Dealer with Both of the Chevrolets I bought here to trade them in for New Ford's. I will never buy another Chevrolet product ever again. Then he said, Sir the part won't be here until tomorrow. I went ahead with the repair, because a fine American will purchase that truck and I want him to have a positive experience with his American Truck Purchase. Thanks for nothing Chevrolet.
Old April 30th, 2017, 7:41 PM
CF Beginner

I have a 2014 Silverado 1500 LTZ and this in February both heated seats went out. In April, when we had our first hot day, the AC was blowing hot air. I took it to the dealership and they said that both heated seat elements needed to be replaced and that the condenser and one of the supply lines had holes in them. $1700 to fix both! Now I realize my truck is not new but 3 years old and having issues like this?! Not impressed. I just sold my wife's 2008 Ford Taurus X which had 160k mikes and never had an issue with that. Disappointing that such a new and expensive truck is already giving me problems. I thought these trucks were supposed to be good for 200k miles?!
Old May 3rd, 2017, 5:39 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pleason
...I thought these trucks were supposed to be good for 200k miles?!
Or when the warranty expires, whichever comes first...
Old May 8th, 2017, 10:41 AM
CF Beginner

Default I too am having the same problem with my 2014 Silverado's a/c

seems like GM would go ahead and do a recall for 2014 Silverado a/c issue. I've noticed there are an enormous amount of 2014 Silverado owners who are all having the same problem. My truck is now past the warranty to have this issue fixed. You wouldn't think you would have to worry about the a/c going out on a $50,000 truck 3 years after you purchased it. I'm very disappointed. If I have to come out of pocket for this GM will lose a good customer. I'm considering trading mine and my wife's vehicles for something more reliable. I'd rather go ahead and trade instead of pumping a bunch of money into pretty much new vehicles. I bought Chevy because I thought I was getting quality. Really hope we didn't make a mistake
Old May 8th, 2017, 11:38 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikeyb291
seems like GM would go ahead and do a recall for 2014 Silverado a/c issue. I've noticed there are an enormous amount of 2014 Silverado owners who are all having the same problem. My truck is now past the warranty to have this issue fixed. You wouldn't think you would have to worry about the a/c going out on a $50,000 truck 3 years after you purchased it. I'm very disappointed. If I have to come out of pocket for this GM will lose a good customer. I'm considering trading mine and my wife's vehicles for something more reliable. I'd rather go ahead and trade instead of pumping a bunch of money into pretty much new vehicles. I bought Chevy because I thought I was getting quality. Really hope we didn't make a mistake
Auto companies won't make money
if they sell you a vehicle that will last 10 years

they are all the same

Quick Reply: 2014 Silverado AC Problems Already?