Notices
2014 - 2018 (GMT-K2) Section for all discussion related to the 2014 - 2018 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

2014 Silverado AC Problems Already?

Search this Thread

Old July 8th, 2017, 7:08 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mikepaul
Yeahhhh, so add me to the list here...

I bought a pre-owned 2014 GMC Sierra SLE Crew Cab on 5/19/17 and two weeks later, the AC stopped working. Luckily I have the extended warranty and they are going to replace the condenser (a million years from now when they get one in). The part is on back order and there are four other trucks that have the same problem. They did give me a loaner and said I could stay in it for as long as I need to. I'm hearing that folks who are getting the condenser done on warranty and have a loaner are priority since they want that loaner back because they only have a small pool of loaner vehicles. I'm so mad.... This was my first new (to me) full size truck and it's sitting in there parking lot while I continue to pay ~$500 per month for it.

Not a good look, GM!!!!
Sorry to hear about another "sucker" like myself and the 1000s of others like us. I say "sucker" because that's exactly what the executives at GM think of us. We pay a relatively huge(because $40K is pocket change to the people who have the authority to remedy this situation) amount of money for a new vehicle which should have a normally functioning AC system for many years regardless of mileage. The people at GM don't seem to understand that an AC system in a vehicle is completely independent of the systems(motor, transmission, engine cooling, electrical) which make the vehicle move
Old July 11th, 2017, 4:39 PM
CF Beginner

Angry a/c problems

i took my vehicle down to my trusted mechanic and he said my compressor was leaking. my truck only has only 58,000 miles. Does anybody know the warranty on compressor from dealer?
Old July 13th, 2017, 1:58 PM
CF Beginner

Same trouble. 42,000 miles condenser cracked. This is for sure a defect. There is no way this should crack in a weld. Lots of $$ out of my pocket. Now it blows hot air some days and cold air other days. It is 97F today, and my 8 month old granddaughter is pretty sure it's too hot to ride with me.
VERY frustrated.

Last edited by tpugh; July 13th, 2017 at 2:01 PM.
Old July 13th, 2017, 3:46 PM
CF Beginner

Thisis the first GM product I have purchased in decades and for the most part it's been OK. That was until yesterday when my compressor seized while driving, trashed the belt and now I have no AC. My truck is a 2014 Silverado and is just barely out of warranty by a couple of months and 2,000 miles. I contacted customer service hoping for some assistance but all they could do is read from the script. After doing a bit more research and talking to the service manager I found out this is a known problem. Now I am looking at a total replacement of the compressor, evaporator and valve to the tune of around $1200. Just to make things a little more interesting the evaporator part is on and has been on back order for months. the service manager said he would do his best to get GM to help out but told me not to get my hopes up. I realize mechanical parts can fail but this is clearly a defect and I do not believe the consumer should bear the burden of bad design. Hopefully GM will do the right thing and at least offer significant assistance in getting this fixed.
Old July 13th, 2017, 6:02 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by 12bar
Thisis the first GM product I have purchased in decades and for the most part it's been OK. That was until yesterday when my compressor seized while driving, trashed the belt and now I have no AC. My truck is a 2014 Silverado and is just barely out of warranty by a couple of months and 2,000 miles. I contacted customer service hoping for some assistance but all they could do is read from the script. After doing a bit more research and talking to the service manager I found out this is a known problem. Now I am looking at a total replacement of the compressor, evaporator and valve to the tune of around $1200. Just to make things a little more interesting the evaporator part is on and has been on back order for months. the service manager said he would do his best to get GM to help out but told me not to get my hopes up. I realize mechanical parts can fail but this is clearly a defect and I do not believe the consumer should bear the burden of bad design. Hopefully GM will do the right thing and at least offer significant assistance in getting this fixed.
Welcome to hell, my friend... I've been dealing with this crap for almost 3 months now. My frustration with their indifference towards us is beyond measure. Someone out there needs to have enough time, money, desire for justice, and the right lawyer to force GM's hand. They have known about the defective parts for a LONG while now, continued to install them on all 14/15/16/17 Sierra/Silverado/Tahoe/Yukon/Suburbans up until only 3-4 months ago, not told ANYONE about it until we demand an explanation, and continued to cash in on huge sales numbers. I think a quick 4 minute exposé on a national nightly news report might help. They like to claim it's not a safety issue, but it's certainly not safe to be driving in traffic, in Florida, in the summer, after having worked outside in the heat all day, with your 10 year old daughter in a vehicle who's cabin temp is easily well over 140 degrees. But it's all about GM's bottom line, and them paying for their own mistake would cut into that profit. And the executives behind their non-GM vehicle steering wheel or their way to the yacht club, SIMPLY JUST DON'T CARE.
Old July 18th, 2017, 5:07 PM
CF Beginner

Default No recall for this? What is the deal?

I don't get it. I paid for a new compressor last summer (after it seized up and shredded the belt), and now my condenser is shot. Another $900 for my local guy to do it, and looks like a $1300 job at the dealership. I just can't believe that in this forum alone, 30 pages worth of the same issue, that GM isn't doing anything about this. I bought it used, and am at around 75k miles, so of course the warranty is out. This is beyond frustrating. My brother swears by his Tundra. I love the look and ride of my Silverado, but this A/C issue that they are ignoring is total BS.
Old July 19th, 2017, 11:09 AM
CF Beginner

Default I will never buy a Chevy if they don't fix this

I took my wife to see the DR today she is 6 months pregnant and The A/C in my 2014 Chevy 1500 went out its blowing hot air.... what do I need to do ??? My truck dose not even have 30,000 miles on it yet ??? And we are expecting a baby on the way ?????

QUOTE=lamaps;340647]I have a 2014 Silverado 41,000 and sure enough the house from compressor to condensor cracks and it cost 612 dollars for hose and bracket. I had the perfect truck.......Why does Chevy not make this problem right with owners?[/QUOTE]
Old July 20th, 2017, 4:49 PM
CF Beginner

2014 Silverado LTZ Z71 right at 50,000 miles the compressor locked up and destroyed the compressor clutch. Dealer Quoted a $1100 just to replace the compressor. (argued with me about the other components the GM manual says to replace) I have contacted GM directly and started a case file. It has been 2 days and they have not called me back. It is over 100 degrees, so the truck is basically parked. Everyone definitely needs to at least call the GM 1-800 number to get the failures on record. We need a recall at the least and hopefully a redesign or we will all be in the same boat in another 30-40K.
Old July 20th, 2017, 5:10 PM
CF Beginner

Add me to the long list of failed condensers. GM Customer Support has been little to no help. Case #8-3098782762. 2015 Silverado with 45k miles and 18 months old purchased brand new. This is my 6th GM product purchase all brand new from the dealer since 2003 for a grand total of $239,000 and as a consumer I don't feel I should have to pay out of pocket for repairs of known faulty defective parts. If my issue is not resolved tomorrow GM has lost a lifetime customer....Those F150s don't look so bad now.
Old July 21st, 2017, 11:55 AM
CF Beginner

Update:
Spoke with Kristie, Senior Customer Service Representative who was handling my case # 8-3098782762, and offered no help nor resolve. I will be picking up my Silverado today and footing the bill out of my pocket.

GM Corporation, Please take a long look at the money in which I am paying for these repairs as it is the last time you will ever see money from me. I express my deepest sympathies for your denial and lack of admission about a known part defect that has cost you the loss of yet another not so valued customer. My business with you is now come to a close but please reevaluate how to value your customers before it lands you in another government bailout. Your business model is flawed and you have lost sight of what's truly important to a successful business. The list below is of the GM automobiles I have purchased brand new from your dealerships which illustrates my past brand loyalty that was lost today.

2003 Chevrolet Silverado
2007 Chevrolet Silverado 4x4
2010 Chevrolet Tahoe
2011 GMC Sierra 4x4
2015 Chevrolet Silverado

2017 Ford F150

Quick Reply: 2014 Silverado AC Problems Already?