Notices
2014 - 2018 (GMT-K2) Section for all discussion related to the 2014 - 2018 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Cabin Filter

Search this Thread

Old July 5th, 2016, 12:53 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cabin Filter

I have a 2015 Silverado 1500 and I have noticed that I get a lot more of the outside environment odors than on any other vehicle I have owned. The vents are on recirculate yet I still get outside smells. And yes the windows are up for all you funny people. Any thoughts?
Old October 16th, 2016, 6:59 AM
CF Beginner

Default Not the filter

I have the same truck and noticed the same thing. I switch to recirculating mode when I pass smoke crossing the road but still smell it inside. I don't know why but it isn't the filter. The filter only removes foreign material like leaves, not odors.
Old October 16th, 2016, 3:02 PM
CF Beginner

Are you sure you have not blocked the interior outlet ducts with something you have stored in the vehicle?
Old October 16th, 2016, 4:59 PM
CF Beginner

Default Not me

Originally Posted by Duug4
Are you sure you have not blocked the interior outlet ducts with something you have stored in the vehicle?
Not blocked in my case... Brand new truck with 2,600 miles on it.
Old October 17th, 2016, 6:33 PM
CF Beginner

GM started with their flow through ventilation system in the 60s.....commercials would show a smoke bomb placed in the interior and the cabin cleared within 5 mins.....there was no off speed for the fan only an ultra low which ran whenever the engine was on like on my '74 Impala. Think they later stopped with the constant on fan but the concept remains of makeup air being drawn into the vehicle to prevent "suffocation" in the cabin, even under recirc so if there is a smell outside, you will get a smell inside. As opposed to Chryslers and Fords of the era where you couldn't even smell dead skunks if placed on the vent intakes. My Silverado, Traverse, Malibu and Camaro all draw in the stink, less under recir, but a stink nonetheless.
Old March 10th, 2017, 9:45 PM
CF Beginner

Is there any reason why the basic filters seem to be rather hard to find, or is just the area I live in? I have to freaking get my cabin filter and Mobile oil filter off of Amazon!
Old March 12th, 2017, 10:17 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

napa should carry them
Old March 12th, 2017, 12:15 PM
CF Beginner

I've noticed the same issue, outside odors smelled inside the cab with ventilation on recirculate and windows up. I've had that looked at on one of the times to the service department having the erratic and poorly timed upshifts/downshifts looked in to.
The dealer said all venting ducts were working correctly. My 2008 Silverado didn't allow any odors inside. The dealer also informed me a woman that bought a Silverado new from that dealer brought it back and returned it (had dealer buy it back) because of just that issue.
Seems to me Chevrolet has a lot to work out with these trucks. After 100 years of building trucks, you'd think they could get it right.
Old March 12th, 2017, 12:16 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Not all have cabin filters, my 03 suburban dosen't, yet my sons (my old one) 2000 suburban does.
Old March 14th, 2017, 8:32 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by kevinkpk
Not all have cabin filters, my 03 suburban dosen't, yet my sons (my old one) 2000 suburban does.
some have a cut out that you can...er...cut...out. then buy a door kit and filter.
I'm cheap so you know what i would do....nothing....but if i had a smell problem (don't say it), i might be inclined.