Notices
2014 - 2018 (GMT-K2) Section for all discussion related to the 2014 - 2018 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Fifth Wheel Hitch Mounting

Search this Thread

Old October 9th, 2017, 8:49 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fifth Wheel Hitch Mounting

We bought the 2500 with the fifth wheel towing package, so already have the drilled holes and cabeling hook ups in the bed of the truck. I'm trying to find a decent instructional video / website to walk through what parts I need to buy and how to install a rail system and fifth wheel head. Most things I find involve kits to drill through the bed of the truck, which is already done. Trying to save some money on installing that from a everyone store and do it myself. Any help on recommended parts and any instructions would be great!

Thank you

2017 Silverado 2500HD 6.6L Duramax

Last edited by Slap; October 9th, 2017 at 8:50 PM. Reason: adding car data
Old March 5th, 2018, 5:39 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think you need a rail system because you already have what's called a puck system installed on your truck and you would need to purchase a "drop in" hitch.

Originally Posted by Slap
We bought the 2500 with the fifth wheel towing package, so already have the drilled holes and cabeling hook ups in the bed of the truck. I'm trying to find a decent instructional video / website to walk through what parts I need to buy and how to install a rail system and fifth wheel head. Most things I find involve kits to drill through the bed of the truck, which is already done. Trying to save some money on installing that from a everyone store and do it myself. Any help on recommended parts and any instructions would be great!

Thank you

2017 Silverado 2500HD 6.6L Duramax
Old April 2nd, 2018, 12:54 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If anyone does need to install the 2 rails, I installed a Curt Q24 hitch (my FW is 16K pounds plus cargo) in my 2014 3500HD long bed with a kit. Came with decent instructions, and Youtube has all kinds of videos on How-To for DIY. It's not easy, but jacking up the truck, then jacking up the bed to extend the suspension gives you enough clearance. The only holes requiring drilling were in the bed. The rest use existing holes in the frame.

Last edited by meternerd; April 2nd, 2018 at 1:01 PM.