Notices
2014 - 2018 (GMT-K2) Section for all discussion related to the 2014 - 2018 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Just bought a 2015 HD2500. Nav sucks...

Old October 27th, 2015, 12:00 AM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It looks like Chevrolet has given up sending it's customer support peopole on here...

It seemed every time I complained on a Chevy forum about the god awful GPS they would post and offer to facilitate a meeting with my local dealer who has done nothing but tell me there's nothing new.

Has anyone heard of a software update on the Mylink system on a August 2014 bought 2015 2500HD? Where are those wonderful little Chevy people who watch over us here? What got me to come over here today is that I just bought a Kenwood with a Garmin inside it for my 2007 Tahoe the other day and when I was installing it "Here" maps popped up as the new supplier of maps for Garmin. (to hear GM tell it.. "Here" Maps supplied the maps for their GPS.) It turns out them and the original Garmin supplier which was Navtech are now the same company. But for some reason Here maps on the Garmin gets just wonderful ETA's to my camper so they can program.

You'd think that the Internet and all would cause Chevrolet to do some upgrades and shut us up. I'm quite sure that anyone reading this forum or asking for reviews on the GM POS GPS would never buy one. On the other had if they fixed it with an update I'd be the first on here to congratulate them and offer my good reviews on something that was fixed.

As another point. They need to allow the passenger to program it when the car is moving. You know. Tie it into the weight scale that's in the passenger seat. How many people here reach for their IPhone and Google maps once the car is moving. GM"s GPS locks you out. You have to pull over. I can change stations, search for a song, etc. But oh my.. Don't you ever search for recent locations on your GM GPS.

Junk... and even worse apparently customer service...

Last edited by guvner; October 27th, 2015 at 12:03 AM.
Old October 27th, 2015, 12:54 PM
CF Active Member

Default Just found out what kind of updates we're getting...

None...

In March of 2016 GM has done 180 degree turn from what we were all told was coming. No more Appstore for Mytouch. Only the 2016 models they've selected will be updateable to the new Android car implementation. Our 2015 and older MyLink radios are not being included in this new update. The IPhone has it's version also that GM is supporting. I guess Windows Phones aren't in there as the U.S. market isn't big enough despite them bringing some very state of the art hardware out about a month ago.

I can't wait till the GM representative comes on here to reach out to my local dealer so that I don't say anything else bad about the ripping off I just endured. No more GM products for me.
Learn from my mistake. If something changes again in the phone industry look to be left hanging by GM.

Guvner..
Old October 27th, 2015, 8:17 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2500 gps

Originally Posted by guvner
I've always had Kenwood w/Garmin GPS's inside the unit on both of my previous Silverado's and my 2007 Tahoe. This thing

Gary
Gary, just get yourself a Garmin GPS. You could have saved a lot of money by not getting GPS in your vehicle. Plus it's 200.00 to update the maps when and if you need it. I found on a long trip that Garmin was about 75% more accurate than my Buick LaCrosse's GPS. I now have a Malibu and it doesn't have GPS. I have a great Garmin, plus I live one mile from Garmin with their superior customer support.
Old October 28th, 2015, 6:30 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Guess they are counting on folks like me that never use their Nav stuff or have any interest in linking up out iPhones to the pickup. The only routing thing my 2015 got was the stuff that OnStar does, and we only used that once to see what it was all about. No interest in using it again. I continue to lengthen the list of items that GM does to pickups that I have no use for. Only problem, for the things I do want, I have to take a laundry list of stuff I don't want because everything is done in packages nowadays. Get one thing, you have to take the other. The wife will use the XM now and then, but I never use XM and I can't recall the last time I ever touched the MyLink screen or used the buttons on the steering wheel for other than cruise and DIC. I love technology, but my pickup is an escape from all that. I won't even link up my iPhone bluetooth. You want to call, leave a message.
Old December 9th, 2015, 8:06 AM
CF Beginner

Default GMC Acadia

I have similar problems with the navigation system in my 2014 Acadia. It takes me to wrong places, recalculates route for no apparent reason and its very slow to find addresses and the voice recognition doesn't understand me.

I was told that the nav system operates in towers rather than satellite which may be some of the problem. But the last time I took the car for service and asked the tech about the problem he told me that if you have bluetooth running or have your smart phone plugged into the charger it will interfere with the navigation system. He said disable location services and try that. I find it hard to believe that this could cause the problems. I have worked with IT all my life and never had an instance where one computer affected the performance of another.

The simple answer is to use Satellite transmissions rather than cell towers, if Garmin and all of the other GPS providers can do this, why can't GM?
Old March 25th, 2016, 10:37 AM
CF Beginner

I couldn't agree more.... I have to use a TomTom in order to have the desired route planned. It really sucks!!

Imagine that, a brand new 2014 Silverado with built in navigation system and I have to affix TomTom GPS onto my windshield...pathetic!
Old March 28th, 2016, 9:57 AM
CF Beginner

To be honest, I have been less than impressed with MyLinks period. The NAV doesn't give accurate info and the view is less than helpful and hard to zoom in or out while driving just to see where you are on your route. Heaven forbid you touch the NAV button while driving just to see the map, but you have to read a paragraph about taking your eyes off the road while driving, which takes much longer to do than just glancing over at the map.
Old April 27th, 2016, 3:34 PM
CF Beginner

I just bought a 2016 2500hd ltz with mylink in it. it has the io6. I tried using the nav on it but its really ****ty. Rerouting, hard to navigate the screen, etc... I seen that GM released an update for it about 2 weeks ago and took truck to dealer as ive oinly had it for a week. got the update and now my android auto works with truckj. I have used the google na\v from phone on my galaxy s7 edge and have not looked back., The most annoying thing on the gm nav is when a turn is coming up the icon to turn takes up half the screen and you can not see what is after the turn until you have turned as the screen is blocked by the big *** turn icon. wtf?? I know this does not help 2014 or 2015 owners, but looks like 2016 owners still have the ****ty navigation
Old May 2nd, 2016, 1:48 PM
CF Beginner

I agree the My Link Navigation is useless unless you want to pony up big money to OnStar a General Motors Company. The navigation in my 2012 Cadillac was great as was the navigation in my last chevy truck. Last General Motors Product for me. I have a 2015 Silverado 1500 High Country Z-71. My Link useless unless your willing to pay extra to OnStar.
Old May 7th, 2016, 10:08 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have never found OEM nav systems to be worth the cost. I just use the Google maps on my iPhone when needed, and that is extremely rare. Even the so-called higher end Qualcomm nav systems in commercial semi trucks can be pretty lame at times. I only used the XM/Sirius routing one time in the 15 months I have owned my pickup, and that was more out of curiosity than needing it. I found I can live without it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Just bought a 2015 HD2500. Nav sucks...