Notices
2014 - 2018 (GMT-K2) Section for all discussion related to the 2014 - 2018 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Stabilitrak Issues

Search this Thread

Old June 14th, 2017, 9:16 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stabilitrak Issues

Rsmall21 , Yesterday 10:44 PM
The Stabilitrak message has been showing up recently on my display but doesnt stay on long enough to read it all. Was driving home last Friday when the radio display would blink on and off a couple of times, the Stabilitrak message popped up and then the truck lost all electrical power and shut off. I turned the wheel to get to the shoulder and then it locked up. Once I was able to coast onto the shoulder, I turned off the truck, waited 30 sec, turned it back on and it drove home normally. The next day I drove it 5 miles down the road to get get food and it shut off again in the drive thru. Almost coasting into the car in front of me. Did the same thing with turning it back on and it drove home fine. I took it to the dealership on Monday and left it for a week. They were unable to re-enact the issue and sent it back home. Today as I was driving down the highway again, it began stuttering a little. The Stabilitrak light came on and the engine light began blinking. Pulled over to shut it off, waited 30 sec and turned it back on again. Drove another 75 miles with no issues. I love this truck but can not afford to have my kids in a machine that has a chance of shutting off while on the highway. I have seen plenty of online videos and forums that talk about similar issues but even the dealership can't help me. Please advise before I have to pass it along to someone else.
Old July 21st, 2017, 5:28 PM
CF Beginner

Hello joined this forum today to try to find some resolution to this problem. I have a 2014 Silverado LTZ I've had for 18 months. These are my symptoms. Without any notice when the wheel is turned all the way to the left it violently steers back to the right. you cannot stop it. usually happens in paring lot or stopped at light starting to turn. The stabilitrack warning that is turned off comes on the dash in front of the steering wheel. The doors lock and radio and ac is powered down. if you keep trying to turn the wheel the truck shuts down. The first time this happened was 2 weeks after bought it. The truck would go dead and not restart for about 5-10 minutes. The dealer said the battery was bad and since it had electric power steering the problem was the battery. (200.00). Its been happening again every few weeks and of course not when the dealer has it. I watched a Youtube video claiming the fix was to remove the side pillars on the sides of the windshield and remove a nut on top of a bolt that is supposed to be the negative ground for the vehicle. The sound deadening foam was wrapped under this nut and should b cut off and nut tightened back down. Done that and thought tat it worked but today 1 month later it happened again. Only this time i was pulling into a parking spot and it happened again and the warning message came up that park assist was disabled. Also sometimes i'm driving down the road and a message that says " select tune to so and so channel and there is option to select or dismiss. I really don't want to get rid of the truck i love it and great mileage but what happens if i traveling 70 mph? I will keep looking on this forum for someone that has found a solution or cause.
Old September 1st, 2017, 2:10 PM
CF Beginner

This had actually happened to me going down the interstate.

Radio started powering off and back on while turning the wheel. I had gotten some messages on the stereo about the firmware not being present and to install via usb (its been awhile now).

But long story short, I was cruising down the interstate this last winter, with my 8 year old in the back seat. And almost like losing power steering, the steering wheel pulled to the left hard, and back to the right. And then I had control of it again.

The dealer summed it up to a sensor in the steering column, and that the truck was "several" firmware updates behind. I haven't had any related issues since.