Notices
2019+ Silverado (GMT-T1) Section for all discussion related to the 2019+ Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra.

Dynamic Skip Fire & Other Tricks Give 2019 Silverado Better Mileage

Search this Thread

Old January 25th, 2018, 5:14 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dynamic Skip Fire & Other Tricks Give 2019 Silverado Better Mileage

Silicon Valley software company Tula Technology develops advanced cylinder deactivation strategy.

There has been tons of news recently, coming out of the Detroit Auto Show and elsewhere, about the next generation Chevy Silverado pickup truck due in 2019. Besides the new 3.0 liter straight six diesel engine, there is a new, advanced, cylinder deactivation technology that is said to deliver a 15% or greater improvement in real-world fuel economy. A Silicon Valley company called Tula Technology, purchased by GM in 2012, has developed a sophisticated computer system that can predict and control deactivation of up to seven of the eight cylinders.

Full article with more information posted on the homepage here.
Old September 11th, 2018, 6:43 AM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Really? GM sure is doing a great job of not mentioning that worthless start/stop feature on the 2019 Silverado. I own two Silverados and the gas mileage is what you would expect except I didn't pay $66,000 for either of mine. You will never get 98 mpg from a v8 engine anyway so GM should just leave well enough alone. Concentrate on building an all electric vehicle that goes 400 miles on a charge.
Old September 12th, 2018, 7:18 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by itsjrs041
Really? GM sure is doing a great job of not mentioning that worthless start/stop feature on the 2019 Silverado. I own two Silverados and the gas mileage is what you would expect except I didn't pay $66,000 for either of mine. You will never get 98 mpg from a v8 engine anyway so GM should just leave well enough alone. Concentrate on building an all electric vehicle that goes 400 miles on a charge.
Electric vehicles only transfer pollution to the supplier of electricity. Also batteries are aren't all that light-weight and you have to wait to charge them. Yeah the start/stop feature isnt the best idea, but you can learn to feather the brakes to keep the engine running. I actually do use it at stops where I know I will be waiting for 3-4 minutes or more.As to this new cylinder deactivation invention, thats nothing new, just different. What bothers me is that its simply more things that can go and will go wrong.

Then again, when GM can pull a solid 27-30 MPG out of a full-sized pickup truck or heavy SUV, without a diesel and/or electic motor, gasoline-power only, I'll be impressed.
Old September 12th, 2018, 7:56 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I read a article in motortrend ,2 fuel pumps in the 19,and very high pressure,more to go wrong
Old September 13th, 2018, 3:43 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by geo1
I read a article in motortrend ,2 fuel pumps in the 19,and very high pressure,more to go wrong
Yeah, that['s just it. Most pickups, not SUV's are loaded down with so much heavy stuff that there is no way to get 25 MPG out of a C/K-2500, The government's MPG mandate of 46 MPG by 2025 is unrealistic, and shouldn't include pickups and vans meant for business owners, farmers, ranchers, construction work, ect.

Speaking of more things to go wrong, check this new valve-train system out:

Schaeffler group advances the art of the valvetrain