Astro 1985-2005
Chevy's first entry into the minivan class, offered in All Wheel Drive to add to its versatility.
Platform: M-Body

2004 Chevy astro van doesn't start security light on

Search this Thread

Old September 5th, 2017, 4:20 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Chevy astro van doesn't start security light on

Hi chevy family, I have a problem with my astro van. It doesn't start, when it cranks - fuel pump doesn't start, security light is on, key remote doesn't work - doesn't lock/unlock doors, I've replace battery but still doesn't work,and can't open doors by hands, too, lock is on. Does anyone know this problem? What it could be? Is there are any fuse blocking or anything else?
Old September 5th, 2017, 4:21 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Probably a security issue, and I wish I could help
Old September 19th, 2017, 4:22 PM
CF Beginner

Thank you. We've solved this. I have another question.
It has 113k miles. Owner said it started to overheat and he stopped on the road. Also, he said the head gasket must be replaced. Oil in the engine normal level, there were no liquid in radiator and expansion tank and there is viscous and sticky scurf. How can I wash the system and what it could be? It looks like rust metal and old antifreeze. Engine uses synthetic oil.
Attached Thumbnails 2004 Chevy astro van doesn't start security light on-wp_20170918_005.jpg   2004 Chevy astro van doesn't start security light on-wp_20170918_004.jpg   2004 Chevy astro van doesn't start security light on-wp_20170918_007.jpg  
Old September 20th, 2017, 12:19 PM
CF Active Member

Looks pretty nasty. I would start by putting plain water in it and see if it circulates thru the block and if you have any leaks. Next I would pull the radiator out and take it to a shop to have it cleaned out and pressure tested for leaks. The over flow tank can be removed and scrubbed out with a bottle brush or something similar. If you plan to keep the vehicle, I would also back flus the system to clean out your heater core and maybe replace the hoses if they are soft or cracked.
Old September 28th, 2018, 2:46 PM
CF Beginner

Can I ask you how you solved the security issue. I'm new to the forum and have a similar issue with my van here in the UK. Same symptoms you describe.
Old September 28th, 2018, 4:11 PM
CF Active Member

I have not experienced the security lock issue. I would try looking up the owners manual on line and see if there are directions to clear that.