Astro 1985-2005
Chevy's first entry into the minivan class, offered in All Wheel Drive to add to its versatility.
Platform: M-Body

Bypass engine imobiliser?

Search this Thread

Old October 22nd, 2018, 2:52 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It's a 4.3 v6

Sorry, forgot to say it's a 4.3 V6 engine.
Old September 3rd, 2019, 4:45 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Astro enthusiasts, I've been quiet for a while due to ill health. The van remains a non-starter but the previous owner assures me it never had a security system, the remote never worked and the vehicle just started on the key until it went wrong., I've been doing some more work, first does anyone know where the inhibitor switch that prevents the starter working except when in Park or Neutral is situated? I have bypassed the ignition switch starter with a remote button, the starter is fine! As you operate the starter switch there is a click from a relay under the drivers side dash and a click from the area behind the drivers seat but the starter doesn't work.

I've tried to follow the advice offered previously. I think the fusible links are behind the battery? There seems to be power back there. The fuel pump primes then goes silent and there is no current in the orange wire that feeds the fuel pump relay. With the ignition on there is no current in the white /green wire which I think should bring a signal from the computer to the fuel relay. There seems to be no output from the purple/white wire on the distributor. Most of the vans electrics do work fine so the issue is with the engine management systems. I have tried to test the "grounds" but I can't find all of them. I only have basic electrical test equipment, no OBD reader or anything like that. If I was able to borrow one, would a recent one work ? I had an '84 Pontiac years ago and there was a different plug which was incompatible with modern OBD readers.

I really would like to get the thing running so we can prepare it for a government condition test and enjoy it on the road.

Last edited by South Coast Boy; September 3rd, 2019 at 4:55 PM.