Astro 1985-2005
Chevy's first entry into the minivan class, offered in All Wheel Drive to add to its versatility.
Platform: M-Body

Continuing the mystery of the non-starting Astro.

Search this Thread

Old December 9th, 2018, 1:19 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Continuing the mystery of the non-starting Astro.

So due to family illness I've had to leave the Astro for a couple of months. After the advice offered by you all I checked the live feed to the injectors and no power. The previous owner confirms there is no security system so that's not the problem. So I bought a couple of new fuel relays from Rock. They've now arrived and I found the cube shaped one above the a/c heater on the passenger side. This seems to have failed as it rattles when shaken. I haven't changed it yet but I can't find where the other one goes. It looks to be inline in the fuel lines and has a female plug on it. Anyone know where it goes? Also the starter doesn't work off the key. When you turn it there is a click from around the drivers door pillar but nothing from the starter. If you jump the solenoid the motor works. Is there a relay in the door pillar or somewhere else? I can't find a fuse or any reference to it in the Haynes Manual.
Old December 13th, 2018, 8:17 AM
CF Beginner

Default Can Anyone help with the relays issue??

Still struggling with the location of the fuel / starter relay.
Old December 13th, 2018, 10:54 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

model year engine?
Old December 14th, 2018, 2:59 AM
CF Beginner

It's a 95 4.3 v6 two wheel drive Tiara Day Van . Sorry I thought it would link to the previous post. Can anyone help?
Old December 14th, 2018, 8:39 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

the diagram I have does not show a starter relay. power is fed to the starter solenoid from the ignition switch. check for power at the solenoid purple wire. it should have power only in the crank position. the click you hear may be the starter solenoid engaging. If yes, tap on the starter while someone holds the key in crank...if it turns over...the starter is worn out.
if the vehicle isn't turning over...you won't have injector pulse
before diagnosing any starting issue...make sure your battery is good. a bad battery will have enough power close the starter solenoid but not turn the engine over.

Last edited by tech2; December 14th, 2018 at 8:46 AM.
Old December 14th, 2018, 11:25 AM
CF Beginner

Something for the weekend?? I'll have a look tomorrow under the van...weather permitting. Thank you for that Tech 2. I'll report back. Anyone can help with the inline fuel relay location?