Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Astro (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/astro-28/)
-   -   fuel pump problem 2000 Astro ?? (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/astro-28/fuel-pump-problem-2000-astro-26691/)

jelectrico October 15th, 2012 2:36 PM

Cutting an access door and brand of the fuel pump

Originally Posted by Russell Hughes (Post 149918)
I am approaching that unsettling time in life where I am going to have to face an unpleasant event. I am going to have to replace the fuel pump on my 99 before I get left on the road side. I bought the van used with 106k miles, now it has 180k.
The two things I have been thinking about is what brand of pump to buy and can I cut an access hole in the floor to replace the pump so I don't have to pay someone to drop the tank. The vote of confidence for the AC Delco pump makes me feel better as I now have some reference but my van is a work car with a lot of miles. The idea of cutting an access hole in the steel floor does not bother me near as much as the possibility of damaging the carpet. Sealing the panel from fumes can be easily done with silicone or other similar gasket maker, welding brackets onto the cutout with the right fasteners can make the cutout securely attached.
Is there anyone out there that has followed through on this idea? If so was it worth the trouble?

Cutting an access door will require tank removal and total fuel system draining/securing from fire. When the tank is out all you have to do is replace the fuel pump. This is a risky job already, without the stream of sparks from cutting the floor panel. you need to use brass wedge to hammer the locking ring on pump. (this is also to avoid any spark).
AC Delco fuel pumps are reliable, so if you do the job right you may not have to do it again any time soon.

stevejohnson48 October 16th, 2012 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by Russell Hughes (Post 149918)
I am approaching that unsettling time in life where I am going to have to face an unpleasant event. I am going to have to replace the fuel pump on my 99 before I get left on the road side. I bought the van used with 106k miles, now it has 180k.
The two things I have been thinking about is what brand of pump to buy and can I cut an access hole in the floor to replace the pump so I don't have to pay someone to drop the tank. The vote of confidence for the AC Delco pump makes me feel better as I now have some reference but my van is a work car with a lot of miles. The idea of cutting an access hole in the steel floor does not bother me near as much as the possibility of damaging the carpet. Sealing the panel from fumes can be easily done with silicone or other similar gasket maker, welding brackets onto the cutout with the right fasteners can make the cutout securely attached.
Is there anyone out there that has followed through on this idea? If so was it worth the trouble?

:eek: The idea of cutting an access hole in the steel floor does not bother me near as much as the possibility of damaging the carpet. Sealing the panel from fumes can be easily done with silicone or other similar gasket maker, welding brackets onto the cutout with the right fasteners can make the cutout securely attached.:confused:Have you encountered the the access to the fuel pump from the floor yet??/ or know anybody else that has??/My question is how would a person map out the location to the access (as to where the pump is located under the floor??/)to be cut and how big of a area to remove??/ please reply Steve