Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Astro (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/astro-28/)
-   -   Horn problem (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/astro-28/horn-problem-56680/)

jtv137 February 24th, 2013 8:29 PM

Horn problem

It time to have 2001 astro inspected, and I just find out that the horn is not working. I had it repair once for $500 bucks 3 years ago. Now I can't afford for that amount. I try to look for the horn today but could not. Any help is appreciated.

kevinkpk February 24th, 2013 8:46 PM

probably the switch

jtv137 February 25th, 2013 8:02 AM

Could you point out where the switch is? Thanks

jtv137 February 25th, 2013 8:17 AM

I see the fuse box under the hood and the horn fuse. I check the fuse and it is ok. Is the switch another thing?

oldchevy February 25th, 2013 8:26 PM

The switch is the in the steering wheel, the part under the button you push to blow the horn. It could also be the horn relay. Put a meter on the horn itself and see if there is 12 volts when someone pushed the horn button. If there is voltage then it is the horn itself. By the way, what did they do for $500.00? That is too much for a horn repair.

jtv137 February 26th, 2013 5:26 PM

Are the fuse and the relay 2 difference things? Where is the relay at? I look every where and I still can't find the horn and been searching the net still no luck. I guess the mechanic just rips me off. He knows it is a must for inspections. He said he replace the horn.

Chevrolet Customer Service February 27th, 2013 8:32 AM

Originally Posted by jtv137 (Post 241766)
Are the fuse and the relay 2 difference things? Where is the relay at? I look every where and I still can't find the horn and been searching the net still no luck. I guess the mechanic just rips me off. He knows it is a must for inspections. He said he replace the horn.

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> jtv137,

Please refer to page 6-64 through 6-66 of the owners manual for the Horn Relay and Horn, including a diagram of its location.

For your convenience, a digital copy of the manual is available at: http://www.extendedgmwarranty.com/ow...olet-Astro.pdf

I hope this information helps. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to PM me.

Louis
GM Customer Service

jtv137 February 27th, 2013 4:01 PM

Thanks Louis,So the fuse and the relay are the same things. But it does not indicate the location of the horn it self. I guess I need to look for the horn and replace it since the fuse is good. Hope you can point out the horn location.

Chevrolet Customer Service March 2nd, 2013 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by jtv137 (Post 241837)
Thanks Louis,So the fuse and the relay are the same things. But it does not indicate the location of the horn it self. I guess I need to look for the horn and replace it since the fuse is good. Hope you can point out the horn location.

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> jtv137,

I am sorry, but I am not a technician, therefore cannot offer technical or do-it-yourself advice.

If the fuse has already been changed and you need to replace the horn, I recommend consulting with a certified technician for additional assistance.

I would be happy to locate one near you. If you would like me to proceed, please PM me your zip code.

Louis
GM Customer Service

kevinkpk March 2nd, 2013 11:48 AM

The relay and fuse are two different things. When the horn switch is depressed it makes contacts putting 12 volts (or battery voltage) to the horn relay coil. When the relay coil energizes the contacts close puttting 12 volts (or battery voltage) mto the horn. I would suggest replace the fuse even if it looks good, without an ohmeter you cannot be sure by looking at it, that also takes that part out of the equation. Still no horn, look under the hood for another fuse box, that should have the relay in it. With that, there will be other relays for fuel pump, air ect. These are probably interchangeable, swap the horn with another relay, still no horn, make sure the relay coil is getting 12 volts to it. You can do this with help. Have help depress horn switch, pull, and replace relay, if it is energizing, you will feel it.