Astro 1985-2005
Chevy's first entry into the minivan class, offered in All Wheel Drive to add to its versatility.
Platform: M-Body

mixed up brake lines from combination valve?

Search this Thread

Old October 7th, 2011, 8:43 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mixed up brake lines from combination valve?

Hey Guys, after replacing all my brake lines, including from combination valve to abs box, the front wheels seem to lock up more easily during emergency stops. ( my abs hasn't worked in years due to wheel sensor.)

I don't think I mixed up the lines from combination valve to abs but which oulet port on the comb valve is front and rear? there are two different sizes. I have the larger size going to the right side inlet on abs(I think that's the rear) and smaller to the left inlet. also, do these lines have to be exact same length?

maybe I didn't adjust the rear shoes correctly yet because I did replace those at the same time.

this was a major project. I'm ready to have more competent person inspect this. thanks
Old November 3rd, 2011, 2:34 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dang what year is your van?
4WAL or RWAL?
I have one RWAL van combination valve in my hands now and larger inlet/outlet is on the left side( up and down, and smaller inlet/ outlet on the right side ( if you are facing the engine from the front of vehicle).
4WAL system is different. I need more information on a vehicle to give you an intelligent answer.
From brake master cylinder lines are connected to the top of combination valve and because the sizes are different there is no room for guessing or error.
on the bottom side is also 2 different sizes to connect the lines, and if you already hooked up the lines, then it must be correct.
I suspect a defective combination valve, but also there is a possibility of air in the brake hydraulic system. Did you bleed the system properly?
Let me know