Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Astro (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/astro-28/)
-   -   timing and backfire issue 1990 astro (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/astro-28/timing-backfire-issue-1990-astro-58597/)

boe402u June 6th, 2013 9:44 AM

timing and backfire issue 1990 astro

I have a 1990 chevy astro, 4.3,144,000 miles and now it won’t stay running and backfires. It was running greatthen all of a sudden, it stuttered and wanted to stall. I accelerated then itbackfired like a shotgun went off then stalled. When trying to start it, itkeeps backfiring loud and when I do get it started, by squirting starting fluidin the TBI. It idles then, I press the gas and it backfires and stalls and don’twant to start again. I don't know if it can be electrical going to distributoror what.
I put a tune up on it with plugs, dist. cap,rotor a few weeks back and it was running great with no problems at all. Pleasehelp me if you can and let me know what and how to check things so I can get itrunning again. I volunteer coach baseball for kids and also mentor and needvehicle for that. I’m on a S.S. Disability budget and that’s why I’m trying todo it myself. I’m pretty handy in repairing but this one has me baffled.
Thank You! <o:p></o:p>

ajc17010 June 6th, 2013 11:10 AM

I had that happen on a 2000 chevy Astro, I checked everything no DTC codes came up it wouldnt run long enough. The top tab on the rotor broke, I have no idea how it even started without it. It must have been arcing across it.

JBWelder October 3rd, 2013 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by boe402u (Post 249576)
I have a 1990 chevy astro, 4.3,144,000 miles and now it won’t stay running and backfires. It was running greatthen all of a sudden, it stuttered and wanted to stall. I accelerated then itbackfired like a shotgun went off then stalled. When trying to start it, itkeeps backfiring loud and when I do get it started, by squirting starting fluidin the TBI. It idles then, I press the gas and it backfires and stalls and don’twant to start again. I don't know if it can be electrical going to distributoror what.
I put a tune up on it with plugs, dist. cap,rotor a few weeks back and it was running great with no problems at all. Pleasehelp me if you can and let me know what and how to check things so I can get itrunning again. I volunteer coach baseball for kids and also mentor and needvehicle for that. I’m on a S.S. Disability budget and that’s why I’m trying todo it myself. I’m pretty handy in repairing but this one has me baffled.
Thank You! <o:p></o

You don't need to be on Disability to want to save Money and at the same time increase Your Education on Your Van.
This is what I said in the other Thread where one of the Members was getting no Fuel.

"The TBI Injector might not be getting the Signal to turn on.

There is also an Fuel Pressure Regulator in the Housing that has a Diaphragm that can go bad (at least there is on My 86 Chevy Cavalier that has TBI).

Because it is a system of different components you need to know how to test the specific components.
Like when you replaced the Fuel Filter and Fuel Pump. It would have been nice to test the Fuel Pressure before replacing them.

Go on the Internet to your Local Library and see if they have any Haynes, Chilton or Motors Manuals.
Even better would be if they had a chiltons guide to Fuel Injection & Electronic Engine Controls."

But, your situation is different but the part about reading up with some Manuals is the same.
You need to find out if it is an Ignition problem or a Fuel Problem.

If you have a Timing Light it would be interesting to see if the Timing is OK.

I am not sure you can do this with the newer types of Carburetor Cleaner but in the past in order to determine if I was not getting Fuel I used to spray in the Carburetor Cleaner. If the Engine ran OK like that I knew I was not getting enough Fuel.

Also check the Electrical Connectors to the TBI.