Astro 1985-2005
Chevy's first entry into the minivan class, offered in All Wheel Drive to add to its versatility.
Platform: M-Body

windows wont go up

Search this Thread

Old March 17th, 2009, 12:29 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default windows wont go up

Hey everyone. I have a friend that just went to jail, for a long time. I have power of attourny over his affairs and i am going to try to sell his 2000 Astro van and put the money away for him. I just picked it up yesterday. Don't know much about it. Gave it a thourogh cleaning today. It has 131,000 miles.

I noticed that if i rolled the electric windows down, they only wanted to go back up a couple inches at a time. You actually have to wait awhile and try it again a few minutes later before they will even try to move up another couple inches. Actually, they wont go down either when having this problem. I never got to ask him if there was a trick to these windows. I'm sure it's a common problem, but did these models have problems with the motors or wiring? I'm sure i can probably test the windows to figure out a little more about them. But i want to get this figured out before i try to sell it.

What can i do to fix this?

THX, Jerry.
Old March 17th, 2009, 10:52 AM
CF Monarch

Received 27 Likes on 9 Posts

That just sounds like two worn out window motors to me.
Old March 21st, 2009, 4:59 PM
CF Beginner

Sorry it took me a while to get looking into this. But i did find out that the window tracks look good, and the wheels on the bottom on the regulator linkage are in good shape too. I am getting around 12 volts to the motor, already checked that.

The window motor makes no grinding noise, or any noise for that matter. I did notice that you can pull the window up about 3/4". While looking down at the regulator and pulling up on the window that 3/4", i can see the big half moon shaped regulator gear turning a little. I'm guessing it shouldn't do that. What could be worn to let it move like this.

I thought about taking the motor off, but it looks like it's riveted to the regulator. I might have to take it off to get a better look.

Are the $29 window motors worth it? Sounds kinda cheap.
Old March 22nd, 2009, 10:18 AM
CF Beginner

If i take the motor out, will i be able to physically see if the motor is shot?

Is there any electrical test i can do to check that?

I may just take it out. If nothing is wrong with it. I can just bolt it back in.

I was reading where some window regulator systems have a spring which could be dangerous to take apart. It does not look like i see anything like that. Am i right?
Old March 22nd, 2009, 9:54 PM
CF Beginner

First off Gary, i want to thank you for all your time and help for helping me narrow this down.

If my switch would have the same problem, and i ran 12volts straight from a car battery to the motor, it should work better shouldn't it? If so, i would know the motor is good. But i did put my mulitimeter on the passenger motors plug and saw 12+ volts with the switch going up, and almost 12 volts with the switch going down. Shouldn't that mean the at least the passenger switch is good? Aside from the circuit breaker.

Anything I can do for you I will.N/P.Might be the circuit breaker that you could focus on........

Last edited by 1Gary; March 22nd, 2009 at 10:04 PM.
Old March 23rd, 2009, 9:29 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm leaning towards EvansBlue's idea on this one.....2 worn out window motors........or very dry\sticky tracks but you said you've already checked that.

can you pull up slightly on the window to help it shut?
Old March 24th, 2009, 9:17 AM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

It's good to see you.....I've been AFK for a while, lots of family stuff going on right now, but its starting to calm down and getting back into the swing of things....cheers
Old March 24th, 2009, 9:45 AM
CF Beginner

Yes, you can pull the windows up by hand while pressing the switch. But the second you stop the upwards pressure on the window, the circuit breaker must kick out in the switch because you have to wait another minute or so before you try again. The window will stop traveling up and my upwards pressure will not move the window. (until the switch resets).
Old March 28th, 2009, 11:24 AM
CF Beginner

I have 2 new window motors coming. $19.95 apiece with free shipping. For that price i hope the quality is good.

I may have asked this earlier but can't remember. Do these regulators have any kind of helper spring? I don't want to find out the hard way.

I will let you know how they work out.
Old March 28th, 2009, 11:33 AM
CF Monarch

Received 27 Likes on 9 Posts

Not a bad price at all.
Not sure about a helper spring, but Gary may know.

Quick Reply: windows wont go up