Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Got a cool sound system? Discuss all your Audio, Video, and other cool electronics here! Please limit the contents to aftermarket only. If you have questions that pertain to a certain model, post it in a model-specific section.

Installing new stereo and the OEM alarm LED

Search this Thread

Old August 5th, 2009, 4:00 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing new stereo and the OEM alarm LED

I've got a 2002 Silverado, no Onstar. I'm getting ready to install an aftermarket stereo. When the OEM "theft deterrent system" is armed a small red LED, located in the stereo by the volume ****, flashes. When I pull that deck out, my theft deterring flashing LED will be gone. I'm wondering about replacing it by wiring up a nice big aftermarket alarm LED, which I can install prominently in the dash. Thus, making my simple stock system look like I've got a fancy aftermarket alarm.

Can I do this without screwing up something in the OEM alarm system?

Is it as simple as I think it is... just find the correct wire in the harness and hook up an alarm LED?

Anybody know which wires in the harness power this LED? Guess I can figure it out in a few minutes poking around with a meter.
Old August 5th, 2009, 2:47 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

The little blinking light has nothing to do with your factory alarm. It is to do with the theftlock part of the radio. Removing the radio will have no adverse effects on the CTD(Content Theft Deterrent).
Old August 6th, 2009, 11:08 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, now I understand what all those posts about unlock codes for stereo decks are about. Things have changed in the last few years... but I am NOT too old to adapt and figure them out!