Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Got a cool sound system? Discuss all your Audio, Video, and other cool electronics here! Please limit the contents to aftermarket only. If you have questions that pertain to a certain model, post it in a model-specific section.

speakers work sometimes

Search this Thread

Old August 15th, 2010, 6:06 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question speakers work sometimes

I have a base model 04 silverado which still has the factory speakers. The door speakers I noticed work when they want to. I pulled both door panels and accessed both speakers. Never could get the drivers side to work, but after a little jiggling I managed to get the passenger side to work. Fast forward to now. They again work sometimes. My question is, is there a repair for this like soldering the wiring in place or do i just need to bite the bullet and replace them?
Old August 15th, 2010, 10:42 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pull the head unit and check the harness and/or wires. Make sure there are no loose connections. Using a probe set (or a couple of wires), you can check the speaker output from the head unit wiring harness.

It's also possible that the connections at the speakers are bad. Sometimes water gets in the door. Sometimes they come loose from normal wear and tear (or door slamming). Could be either of these, or a couple of bad (water damaged) disconnects (if applicable to your vehicle -- some vehicles have wiring along the floorboard -- may or may not be applicable to your vehicle).

You can work backward by process of elimination, disconnecting each speaker wire from the harness at each location and running jumpers from your ipod or portable radio. If the speaker works, look elsewhere. If you test the head unit for output, and the head unit is providing signal, the problem lies somewhere between.

If you are convinced that it's the connections at the speaker, you can cut the wire, thoroughly clean the terminals, tin and solder them or use terminal connectors.

Check the ground as well.