Avalanche Chevy's first real SUT, combining the interior room of an SUV and the cargo ability of a pickup truck.

Chevrolet Avalanche
Platform: GMT 805 & 900

2008 5.3 Camshaft Position Sensor code P0016

Search this Thread

Old April 16th, 2019, 10:42 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 5.3 Camshaft Position Sensor code P0016

I have a camshaft position sensor code P0016. It all started while driving on a freeway. After resetting the multiple codes I was able to drive the truck home at reduced power. I changed the camshaft position sensor but still got the P0016 code. I then took it to a shop where they again changed the camshaft position sensor and told me that the camshaft tensioner had likely failed and the camshaft was retarded. I opened up the engine and found the tensioner in multiple pieces. I replaced the timing set including the tensioner and made sure I exactly aligned the camshaft pulley arrow with the keyway on the crankshaft and then reassembled the engine. The p0016 code still exists. Two questions. 1) will low or no oil pressure indicator keep the p0016 code lit? 2) if not, what else needs to be changed to cure the p0016 code?

I just determined that I screwed up installing the timing chain. It is retarded, So I'll fix that and then it should solve the p0016 code.

After properly aligning the timing marks (it was retarded by 2 or 3 teeth), reassembling the engine and then priming and pre-lubing the oil system the engine started immediately with no codes and normal oil pressure. I also found that there are only three things that can cause the p0016 code. 1) the camshaft position sensor, 2) the crankcase position sensor, or 3) a retarded camshaft as a result of a camshaft tensioner failure resulting in the camshaft chain slipping one or more teeth on one of the sprockets. Most likely failure is 3). At normal shop rates replacing the tensioner, chain, and pulleys could cost as much as $2000.

Last edited by phness; April 22nd, 2019 at 1:50 PM. Reason: correction & update