Avalanche Chevy's first real SUT, combining the interior room of an SUV and the cargo ability of a pickup truck.

Chevrolet Avalanche
Platform: GMT 805 & 900
Old July 29th, 2015, 1:08 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Powertrain Guides
Print Wikipost

engine power is reduced, service stabilitrak and service traction control

Old September 1st, 2012, 9:52 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine power is reduced, service stabilitrak and service traction control

Hi all,
two weeks ago my avalanche 2007 z71 started showing these three warnings
engine power is reduced , service stabilitrak and service traction control
I took it to the dealer and he said the problem was " throttle body" p2145
so I changed it , after a week the problem came back
this time the dealer said the " throttle body" was not learned, so he made it learned or whatever
this week the same problem came again !
I want to mention that the engine turned off "de-energized" while I'm driving three times !
Any ideas ?
Old September 6th, 2012, 11:22 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

islandarmor,

If you would like for us to follow up on your visits to your dealership, please send us a private message here on the forum that includes your name, address and phone, the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your dealership.

All the best,
Sarah (Assisting Louis)
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old December 30th, 2012, 12:27 AM
CF Beginner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation Same problem

Had the same problem tonight with my 2010 Chev 2500hd driving back from a ski trip in a snow storm. Was in 4wd the whole time with a snow covered highway. Three times power dropped out and could not maintain highway speed. Rpm was indicating 2000 but speed dropped to 15 mph on highway. Had to turn truck off then on again to clear problem and get power back. This is obviously some kind of computer issue with the stabiltrack system where it gets confused operating for extended periods on slippery terrain.

This happened about a year ago in similar snowy conditions but the problem went away after the storm and hasnt bothered me since till now. I didnt take it in for service last time but think i will this time
The following users liked this post:
Charlene Owen (February 9th, 2020)
Old January 2nd, 2013, 12:19 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by ViPirate
Had the same problem tonight with my 2010 Chev 2500hd driving back from a ski trip in a snow storm. Was in 4wd the whole time with a snow covered highway. Three times power dropped out and could not maintain highway speed. Rpm was indicating 2000 but speed dropped to 15 mph on highway. Had to turn truck off then on again to clear problem and get power back. This is obviously some kind of computer issue with the stabiltrack system where it gets confused operating for extended periods on slippery terrain.

This happened about a year ago in similar snowy conditions but the problem went away after the storm and hasnt bothered me since till now. I didnt take it in for service last time but think i will this time
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> ViPirate,

I am sorry you experienced this issue with your truck. Please keep us posted of the results of your dealer visit.

If you need additional assistance, please feel free to contact me privately.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old January 3rd, 2013, 6:42 AM
CF Beginner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up Resolved

Went to dealer yesterday and they replaced throttle position sensor, which was indicated by the code and tested faulty. All good so far, but surprised that would be related to driving on snowy or slippery terrain. Service was performed on the 7yr/70k extended warranty that i purchased with new truck 2 yrs ago, as the throttle sensor surprisingly is not covered under power train warranty.
Charlene Owen (February 9th, 2020)
Old October 2nd, 2013, 11:46 AM
CF Beginner

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Fixed

I had this problem a few times. First the dealer "fixed" some connectors. Then they replaced the throttle body. Finally they found out that the on-star computer was causing the issue. It's been 2 months now and I've had no issues. That is where I would look if you are still having a problem
Melanie Hooey (March 10th, 2021)
Old October 2nd, 2013, 11:50 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Dc2002
I had this problem a few times. First the dealer "fixed" some connectors. Then they replaced the throttle body. Finally they found out that the on-star computer was causing the issue. It's been 2 months now and I've had no issues. That is where I would look if you are still having a problem

Dc2002 Welcome to the forum, thanks for the helpful input
Old October 21st, 2013, 2:29 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stabiltrack Default Code

I have a 2012 Impala with almost 70K miles on it. I have had this default code come up 4 times now. Once while driving on the freeway and 3 times at start up. I've had the auto towed in once and limped it back other times. It is currently in the shop again with the same problem (4th time). I do a lot of travelling for business and this thing scares the daylights out of me. Three previous times the dealer has told me thay fixed the problem. They now claim they are in touch with GM and wanted to keep the car over the weekend, which I've let them do. Today is Monday and I've not heard from them yet, which tells me they probably don't have any idea what the problem is. Most of the time they can't seem to duplicate it once I drop it off.......I'm not very happy at present.
Old January 7th, 2014, 6:49 PM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation Similar Problem

I have a 07 Avalanche, after a whole day of driving through thick snow in 4wheel drive my truck is now giving the "reduced engine power, service stabilitrak, service traction control, and service 4wheel drive"... wont accelerate past 10mph... What should be my next step?
The following 2 users liked this post by mrhaddad7:
Clifton Williams (September 13th, 2019), Melanie Hooey (March 10th, 2021)
Old January 8th, 2014, 2:09 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm having the exact same problem with my 08 Avalanche LTZ. Service traction control, service stabilitrak, coming on then going away then coming back. All while the check engine light stays on steady. HELP!!!!!
Clifton Williams (September 13th, 2019)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: engine power is reduced, service stabilitrak and service traction control