Avalanche Chevy's first real SUT, combining the interior room of an SUV and the cargo ability of a pickup truck.

Chevrolet Avalanche
Platform: GMT 805 & 900
Old July 29th, 2015, 1:08 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Powertrain Guides
Print Wikipost

engine power is reduced, service stabilitrak and service traction control

Search this Thread

Old March 31st, 2018, 4:19 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any idea on that part number and 'official name'? Experiencing similar as you described in my 2013 Avalanche.
Old April 4th, 2018, 4:58 AM
CF Beginner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by flyguy
Any idea on that part number and 'official name'? Experiencing similar as you described in my 2013 Avalanche.
So after all of my research I have come up with about 5 or so things it could be based on what I have read on this forum and looked up online. It can be anything from the throttle body, a frayed wired, the accelerator, to even one guy said the dealer told him it was his OnStar system! So basically if you are mechanically inclined there are lots of videos online of people troubleshooting this issue. If you are not so mechanically inclined then you have to take it in and start throwing money at it while the dealer service techs throw darts at what the suspected problem is.

I am sorry I couldn’t give you an exact explanation and even more sorry so little is being done by Chevy/GM to rectify this known defect.

PS- I am actually typing this reply as I sit on the side of the highway at 5:55am hoping the restart will clear my current reduced Engine Power/Service StabiliTrack/ Service Traction Control issue. It just kicked on while traveling at 70mph on this dark, foggy morning. Super safe Right!?!?

Last edited by LJones23; April 4th, 2018 at 5:01 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Monster10 (August 5th, 2020)
Old April 27th, 2018, 1:22 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LJones23
So I have spent the last two weeks searching for any recalls or extended warranties on this same exact problem which has started happening to my 2010 Chevy Silverado 1500. I have only 67,000 mile on it and keep it serviced regularly. Last week while traveling at about 68 mph on the highway I was a victim of the what I now know is the dreaded REDUCED ENGINE POWER, SERVICE STABILTRACK, SERVICE TRACTION CONTROL. My truck immediately dropped to under 30 mph on the highway and thankfully the guy following behind me was able to slow down in time before rear ending me! I immediately hit the internet to see what this could be and my god this is an issue that is so widespread across these vehicles it is absolutely horrible. Not only did I find hundreds of people reporting this issue, the "fix" seems to be even worse.

Snipped a lot of stuff
PS- I am actually typing this reply as I sit on the side of the highway at 5:55am hoping the restart will clear my current reduced Engine Power/Service StabiliTrack/ Service Traction Control issue. It just kicked on while traveling at 70mph on this dark, foggy morning. Super safe Right!?!?
i just joined the forum a few minutes ago.

I bought my 2009 Avalanche with 89k miles a week ago. I have joined LJones23 on the side of the highway, experiencing a similar 70 to 40 slowdown in the fog just north of Macon Ga on I-75 on my way to Wisconsin at 1:30 AM.

i will take it to a local dealer in a few hours but I am not happy reading all of these complaints. Thanks to all who have already provided inspection guys and guidance.

OD

Old May 24th, 2018, 6:29 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2016 Malibu

I can not believe after all of these years that Chevy has done NOTHING to fix this issue. My car has 24,000 miles on it and now has the engine light on and engine power reduced. Runs very rough at an idle. Unbelievable. Please let me know what I should do. I can’t afford 100 s of dollars on a “new” car
Anthony Kelshaw (January 31st, 2021)
Old May 24th, 2018, 6:31 PM
CF Beginner

Default Class action

So I have spent the last two weeks searching for any recalls or extended warranties on this same exact problem which has started happening to my 2010 Chevy Silverado 1500. I have only 67,000 mile on it and keep it serviced regularly. Last week while traveling at about 68 mph on the highway I was a victim of the what I now know is the dreaded REDUCED ENGINE POWER, SERVICE STABILTRACK, SERVICE TRACTION CONTROL. My truck immediately dropped to under 30 mph on the highway and thankfully the guy following behind me was able to slow down in time before rear ending me! I immediately hit the internet to see what this could be and my god this is an issue that is so widespread across these vehicles it is absolutely horrible. Not only did I find hundreds of people reporting this issue, the "fix" seems to be even worse. People taking their vehicles to the dealership and being charged hundreds of dollars for them to take a stab at the issue with most people requiring multiple trips. At this point Chevy/GM is well aware of this issue and are doing as little as possible to fix it. I have registered my issue with the U.S. DOT National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (as have plenty of others) but I am hoping GM/Chevy step up to the plate on this one a do the right thing. I also came across a few people that are in the process of starting class action lawsuits for this issue.

Please let me know if there is anyone that has found some sort or reimbursement or service help from GM on this issue for the Silverados (I have seen a few on some other models).
is there a class action yet?
Old June 6th, 2018, 11:51 AM
Fey
CF Beginner

Hello,

I'm posting a quick update on my Chevy 2007 Avalanche. The last repair I had done on my truck seems to have fixed the issue. This was done in February 2018 and so far, as of today, June 2018, I've not had any more issues.

The wiring expert at West Chevrolet, Alcoa, TN spent two days on my truck trying to trace the problem. I spoke directly to him and he told me that if this problem is caused by a wiring issue that it cannot be diagnosed by the technician unless they can replicate the symptoms. Thankfully this man was able to get my truck to start displaying the error messages after driving it nearly 200 miles. He got it back to the shop and spent another 2 hours, with the truck running, tracing every single wire. He finally found that a wire was chafing against the HVAC and was shorting out.

I spoke with the service manager and the GM of West and they worked with me on the charges since this was my fifth time with the same issue. I still wound up paying several hundred dollars.

Here's my last post with more info:

Unfortunately, this will be a long and probably expensive repair. I just got my 2007 Avalanche back from the dealership for the 5th time. This repair was done by the wiring expert who traced all the errors back to a wire that was being chaffed by the HVAC system. Apparently this was causing a short that triggered the Stabilitrak and Traction Control errors and ultimately the Engine Power Reduced issue.

So, I've paid for the following repairs:
1. Fuel sensor replaced
2. ECM replaced
3. Accelerator pedal replaced
4. Throttle Body Assembly, including sensor replaced.
5. Wiring repair

Total cost, about $4,000.00

Call Chevrolet and open a case.
Old July 31st, 2018, 9:15 PM
CF Beginner

Angry Reduced power, StabilitraK light; nearly was hit

Well, I guess that I am in the same boat as many of you now. 2007 Avalanche 5.3 obviously. Have been suffering with this vehicle since new, one thing then the next. Primarily all electrical related. It just never ends! Entire new wiring harness, new BCM ( possibly two now) and a multitude of other issues.

Latest among those just occurred: this Stabilitrak light and reduced power while driving 65MPH! Thankfully an alert driver was right behind me or I would have been rear-ended by his vehicle! Went from 65 to ~35 MPH in a heartbeat! This is a known safety issue that GM needs to address soon. I don't want to die because of this design flaw. I can live with the many other glitches (latest is rear windows refuse to open or close) NHSTA needs to step in, if GM wants to ignore this dangerous condition.

Those of you who are long-timers here may remember some of my earlier postings. Here's the other big one The Avalanche used to start all by itself, parked anywhere! It would spontaneously start up and run for a random time. Well, that was finally diagnosed and repaired but even yet I am having all these gremlins with electrical.
Old August 5th, 2018, 10:57 PM
CF Beginner

Is anything being done as far as a class action suit or even help from GM for this matter? This issue with the Stabilitrak light and reduced power, terrible idling, and hard shifts need to be addressed. I have no incentive to buy new from a company that ignores this common problem with their existing products. C'mon GM, let's make this right, please.
Old August 9th, 2018, 9:46 PM
CF Beginner

Chevrolet Customer Care, can you please respond to my inquiry above? Thank you. How should I proceed?
Anthony Kelshaw (January 31st, 2021)
Old August 19th, 2018, 9:32 PM
CF Beginner

Default Replaced tps 2007 av

Hey guys. Same problem...reduced eng power, cel, Trac ctrl etc. I replaced tps, it relearned on its own eventually.....took 2 days, 400 miles. No codes, running ok. Still have slight miss but nothing like before. I will update if problem comes back. I appreciate the posts.

Last edited by lacree; August 20th, 2018 at 6:44 AM.

Quick Reply: engine power is reduced, service stabilitrak and service traction control