Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Avalanche (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/avalanche-18/)
-   -   oil pressure sensor location for '07 avalanche (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/avalanche-18/oil-pressure-sensor-location-07-avalanche-30895/)

indyrob March 2nd, 2010 8:08 PM

oil pressure sensor location for '07 avalanche

Hey Guys, Think I have a bad oil pressure sensor-throwing code P0521. Need help in locating it in the engine. Anybody know where this sensor is in the engine? Got a new one to install -can't find the darn thing! Thanks! Indyrob

nauticstar87 March 3rd, 2010 7:59 PM

The sensor is located in the top back of the intake manifold. Apparently you need a special tool to change it.
I found this after a decent google search, hope it helps.

cam3439 March 3rd, 2010 8:26 PM

If it's like most 5.3L then it'll be on top of the valley cover/engine block, toward the back of the engine. If you cannot get to it easily then you will have to take the intake manifold off. If there turns out to be some leakage of oil then it is highly recommended to do some type of sealing procedure since the newer truck engines are known to have this problem. I don't remember if you do need a special tool, but it would be wise to look it up.

indyrob March 3rd, 2010 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by cam3439 (Post 133851)
if it's like most 5.3l then it'll be on top of the valley cover toward the back of the engine. If you cannot get to it easily then you will have to take the intake manifold off. If there turns out to be some leakage of oil then it is highly recommended to do some type of sealing procedure since the newer truck engines are known to have this problem. I don't remember if you do need a special too, but it would be wise to look it up.

thanks for the info. I'm gonna try to replace it saturday. The dealer said they would do it for $150 but i can't see how if that manifold is coming out. Might just do it myself. Thanks again. Indyrob

cam3439 March 4th, 2010 2:49 PM

You might be able to get to it without taking the manifold off, but if it's too hard then you'll have to take the manifold off. This might be why you would need a special tool (in order to make this procedure easier). Can't really say, other than me seeing the sensor on the rear of the valley cover or engine block (top) on some 5.3L's. I didn't really pay attention to whether or not the sensor was under the intake manifold or right past it. Hopefully it's right past it. Good luck.

mikeross August 5th, 2010 1:03 AM

Pardon me but what special tool is this? Where can it be bought and for how much? I am gonna be needing it soon because the oil pressure switch on my chevy needs replacement. Thanks!

tahoefamily December 20th, 2011 8:39 PM

hello, i have tahoe with 5.3 in it. the oil pressure switch is behind the intake minifold on top of block. its not fun getting to. hard to unplug the wire. the retaining clip is tough. 1 1\16 deep thin wall socket., a swivel socket and couple of extensions and you should get it. the service book says to take the manifold off (its a book). you can get to it. this r and r should fix the high and low readings of your gauge. i did even have a message center reading of low oil pressure and thats because of the gauge. never mind the stepper motors others talk about. the cheapest and quickest will be this fix. good luck