Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Beretta, Corsica, & pre-1995 Lumina (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/beretta-corsica-pre-1995-lumina-33/)
-   -   1991 Chevy Corsica 3.1L V6 engine stalling issues (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/beretta-corsica-pre-1995-lumina-33/1991-chevy-corsica-3-1l-v6-engine-stalling-issues-80199/)

Jason Figueroa October 17th, 2016 1:32 PM

1991 Chevy Corsica 3.1L V6 engine stalling issues

I have a 1991 Chevy Corsica, 3.1L V6 engine, that has been going through some stalling issues. My buddy, who has some knowledge of car repairs believed it was the throttle position sensor. I bought a new one and replaced it. It worked for a day, but it stalled again. My buddy then believed it was the mapping sensor. I replaced that one and took it out for a test drive. After driving for over 20 miles, it again stalled and this time a "service engine light" turned on.. The engine runs and hesitates at times when it is parked. Once I put the car into drive, it stalls. My friend then believes that it must be the fuel pump. I tested out the fuel pressure, and the gauge places it at 39 psi when this engine is supposed to be between 41-47 psi. My friend recommended that fuel pump should be replaced. After we replaced it, the engine still stalled when put into drive. I gave up at that point and took the car to a mechanic. The mechanic said it was the catalytic converter and replaced it. They took it out for a test drive and said it was fixed. I picked up the car, and it does not sound like the car was entirely repaired. About 20 miles out, the car, will stall when I slow it down, and I have to play with the gas pedal to slowly get the vehicle going. At times while accelerating, the engine stalls. I would have to pull over, shut the car off, and turn it back on a few times just to get moving. Even when braking the car to full stop, the car will stall, when I hit the gas pedal. The mechanic texted me, asking how the car was running. After I had texted him back that the car still has stalling issues, that was the end of the conversation.

I want to take the vehicle to another mechanic, but I want to find one who can at least know what the problem is. I asked my buddy if the PCV valve might need to be replaced, but he doesn't think so. If anyone reads this, had this similar issue and believed they know what the problem is, please feel free to give pointers.

Thanks.

kevinkpk October 20th, 2016 5:06 PM

Fuel, and fuel filter

davyjones365 March 26th, 2017 10:38 AM

What did you find to cure your problems . I'm having similar problems with a 1994 Lumina , with the 3.1 engine. Thx. Dave.

tred121 June 9th, 2023 9:49 PM

any luck

Originally Posted by davyjones365 (Post 335723)
What did you find to cure your problems . I'm having similar problems with a 1994 Lumina , with the 3.1 engine. Thx. Dave.

been having the same issue with a either 91 corsica or 90 car door says one year manuel says another