Beretta, Corsica, & pre-1995 Lumina Among this grouping, these three cars, while being similar to each other, offered something for everyone, from a sports coupe to a roomy sedan.
Platform: L-Body

Am I the only one still driving a Corisca?

Search this Thread

Old August 22nd, 2017, 1:50 AM
Newly Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Am I the only one still driving a Corisca?

My Corsica is 21 years old and continues to be one of the most reliable cars I've ever owned. It's my daily commuter and gets me to work and back without any worries in typical city traffic. I bought it off my aunt three years ago with only 148000 miles on it, and so far have put almost 40,000 since I've owned it. All I have done to it is fuel pump, a/c compressor, shocks and struts, in my opinion just normal maintenance items for something of this age. The paint has faded quite a bit on the roof, hood, and trunk for never being garaged in it's life, so it is definitely not the most attractive car, but it's what's under the hood that makes up for it. The solid V6 engine that is still going strong. It has decent power and am very well pleased with it's performance, even considering it's age. I live in Las Vegas and I swear I own the only Corsica left in this city. I rarely see others on the road. They've gotta be classics at this point. Any of you out there still a proud owner of one of these almost obsolete automobiles?
Old April 16th, 2019, 9:06 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sasawest
My Corsica is 21 years old and continues to be one of the most reliable cars I've ever owned. It's my daily commuter and gets me to work and back without any worries in typical city traffic. I bought it off my aunt three years ago with only 148000 miles on it, and so far have put almost 40,000 since I've owned it. All I have done to it is fuel pump, a/c compressor, shocks and struts, in my opinion just normal maintenance items for something of this age. The paint has faded quite a bit on the roof, hood, and trunk for never being garaged in it's life, so it is definitely not the most attractive car, but it's what's under the hood that makes up for it. The solid V6 engine that is still going strong. It has decent power and am very well pleased with it's performance, even considering it's age. I live in Las Vegas and I swear I own the only Corsica left in this city. I rarely see others on the road. They've gotta be classics at this point. Any of you out there still a proud owner of one of these almost obsolete automobiles?
I was driving a 1992 V6 Corsica until about 2 weeks ago, too.

About 4 weeks ago, the serpentine belt broke about 10 mins away from my home. The engine overheated a bit, but I decided to take my chances and got home just fine. Because of insufficient clearances, one side of the engine had to be raised to change the belt.

A week later the water pump seized up. By that time, I already had some practice, so the replacement was fairly quick. (had to raise one side for that, too)

2 weeks ago I started to have "no start" issues. I have verified that I have fuel pressure but no spark, and so now I'm trying to replace the crankshaft position sensor -- it is in a very difficult to reach place.

But before that. for about 6 years and from 140k to 215k it was a reliable car with a pretty decent mpg. But once certain things start to break, some can be exceedingly difficult to replace.

BTW, did anyone ever replace the crankshaft position sensor on a 3.1L V6?
Old May 27th, 2019, 3:03 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I own 2 of them

Hi,

I have a ‘96 with a reman’d 2.2 and a ‘93 3.1 with now just an idle problem. The ‘96 is not drive-able because it’s full of black mold...that’s why I bought a ‘93 basket case but I didn’t know how much work it would be to swap engines and the wiring so I’m just fixing the 3.1.

I think you have to remove the power steering pump to get to the crank sensor. Be sure to check the resistance of the coils.

Matt