Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Beretta, Corsica, & pre-1995 Lumina (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/beretta-corsica-pre-1995-lumina-33/)
-   -   codes (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/beretta-corsica-pre-1995-lumina-33/codes-82206/)

davyjones365 March 16th, 2017 8:27 AM

codes

Got pulled away while in process of checking codes with the 2 pin ground in place. Came back and started engine. Ran fine for a minute . Then acted up , killed , then wouldn't start & run. What can I do ?..... What did I ruin?.... Thx.... Dave.

davyjones365 March 18th, 2017 10:32 AM

Update: Left battery undone at negative post overnight. Fuel pump is about 3 years old , but car did sit about 6 months through the fall & winter. I changed fuel filter , hooked battery up , car started and ran fine..... For about a minute , ( thought wow , filter did it ).....then same problem . Just sitting there with foot on gas pedal....Engine wanted to surge some, and idle wanted to go down and act like it would die. I kept it alive by varying throttle position with gas peddle. I coaxed it to ( guessing ) about 3,000 RPM , and engine would stay steady at that RPM , no surging , like it was running fine. Letting down RPM , same surging and wanting to die returned. I took it out on the road , about a mile and back. Tried to coax it up to a good speed. It didn't want to play. I even tried using a lower gear to get the RPM's up to that magic 3,000 ,and it didn't want to get there. It killed twice before I got back , but restarted. Just sitting there , same thing ,it will restart , but wants to vary RPM & wants to die. I noticed the vacuum hose to the ( I'm guessing ) cruise control ( gizmo , diaphragm, throttle cable , assembly ), on the fender well , towards driver from battery & window washer reservoir ... has like age , weather check crack-age showing on it. I should replace it. It leads to one of those plastic corrugated bundle wraps. About how long of vacuum hose is this , and where does it go to ? After this car being this old , probably all vacuum hoses should be replaced ( how many , and what do they control )? .... Spark plugs & wires, and 1 coil pack , have been replaced about 3 yrs, ( 15,000 miles ) ago. Any suggestions would be appreciated.... Yes , I know... Take it to a shop...lol.... Just dumb enough to try to do what I can myself.... Thank you all.... Davy Jones.

in2pro March 18th, 2017 11:05 AM

I would for sure check for any vacuum leaks, it might also be old fuel...

kevinkpk March 18th, 2017 1:50 PM

[QUOTE=davyjones365;335338, probably all vacuum hoses should be replaced ( how many , and what do they control )? ...... Davy Jones.[/QUOTE]

I have been replacing them on my 96 as they rot, and fall off. I'd suggest WD-40 with it running, provided you can get it started again, spot spry around vacuum hose ends, you'll have an increase in rpms if it is leaking. Your orginal post said you were checking for codes, is the check engine light on?

davyjones365 March 19th, 2017 3:20 PM

Thank you... I will check or leaks.... I also
understand starting fluid sprayed will show any kind of intake or vacuum leak.... .No check engine light shows up.

kevinkpk March 19th, 2017 4:11 PM

Originally Posted by davyjones365 (Post 335410)
Thank you... I will check or leaks.... I also
understand starting fluid sprayed will show any kind of intake or vacuum leak.... .No check engine light shows up.

Yes it will, but to re-emphasize you need to spray (spot spray) at connections, and where a hose may have a hot spot or rub

davyjones365 March 25th, 2017 1:23 AM

Spraying starting fluid around connections, vacuum lines, intake , plenum, etc. had no effect on engine RPM. This is what it does now. ( This is without touching the gas peddle ) : After sitting some time , it will start and idle , and not miss, or skip a beat , or vary RPM for about 30 to 35 seconds... Then you can tell it starts to have a miss here & there. At about 60 seconds it starts really varying RPM , then struggles to stay idling , and kills at 1 1/2 minutes , and does not want to restart. Let it sit a while and it will start & run again smooth for 30-35 seconds again , when it starts to run rough , if you play ( pump ) the gas peddle you can keep it running , but it wants to die , and it seems to start getting hot to quickly. I'm wondering if the fast idle times out at about 30-35 seconds. Is there something else that changes in the controls , computer , or whatever ? Or could it be a coil pack getting hot and starts to fail in that amount of time ? Just trying to think of the possibilities..... Thx.... Dave.

HIPBONE March 25th, 2017 5:59 AM

Need more info on what you have. Year an engine for starter's. In 94', some were gen. 1 and others were gen. 2. Did you notice water or any crude when you swapped out fuel filter? But to get started, you need to verify your fuel pressure. You can rent a Fuel Pump Diagnostic Kit from Autozone.