Bolt EV New Chevrolet Bolt forum to discuss GM's budget Bolt EV with 200+ mile electric range!
Chevrolet Bolt
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: ClipperCreek

Best Miles range

Search this Thread

Old October 24th, 2018, 2:55 PM
CF Beginner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking Winter and summer difference in mileage.

After driving my Bolt through two seasons of winter and summer driving I have determined that the mileage in winter full charge is about 195-200. In summer it is always 240-250. The difference is the heater. In winter you use resistance heating which goes into the equation that calculates the full charge mileage. During the summer even when you use the AC it does not add to the electrical load. The AC runs all the time to keep the batteries at the right cool temperature. When you switch on the AC in the cabin it only moves a small door that redirects some of the AC to the cabin and does not take any more energy because the AC is always running.
The following users liked this post:
Roarke (June 15th, 2022)
Old October 27th, 2018, 10:03 AM
CF Beginner

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sjoesten
After driving my Bolt through two seasons of winter and summer driving I have determined that the mileage in winter full charge is about 195-200. In summer it is always 240-250. The difference is the heater. In winter you use resistance heating which goes into the equation that calculates the full charge mileage. During the summer even when you use the AC it does not add to the electrical load. The AC runs all the time to keep the batteries at the right cool temperature. When you switch on the AC in the cabin it only moves a small door that redirects some of the AC to the cabin and does not take any more energy because the AC is always running.
Interesting about the AC. This summer I actually got some full charges at an average 275 and max just over 300. From other Bolt owners, I learned that the equation also takes into consideration one's driving style. My biggest complaint about the Bolt is that from 2 dealerships and GM customer service, I could not get an explanation of winter vs summer mileage. I appreciate your response.
Roarke (June 15th, 2022)
Old December 28th, 2019, 3:25 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same thing with my 2019 Bolt and no help from the dealership. I showed near 300 miles in the summer and now back down to 130 like last year. Apparently it's a result of the cold climate here in Iowa and using remote heating a lot. Still nice to have seats, steering wheel and cabin warmed though. Also is parked in an attached garage that I keep at 40 degrees bottom and warmer when working in it.
Roarke (June 15th, 2022)
Old September 18th, 2022, 2:05 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not a good driver, 190-220 miles, several times I have 199 miles it's was very funny