Bolt EV New Chevrolet Bolt forum to discuss GM's budget Bolt EV with 200+ mile electric range!
Chevrolet Bolt
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: ClipperCreek

Chevy Bolt Crashed On Its Own, Says Owner

Search this Thread

Old April 10th, 2017, 6:25 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HighGs
DISCLAIMER: I am not yet a Bolt owner.

On page 207 of the Bolt Owner's Manual, it gives four steps to shift into reverse.

1. Bring the vehicle to a complete stop.
2. Press the shift lock release button on the side of the shift lever.
3. From the center position, move the shift lever forward, and then to the left R is illuminated in red.
4. After releasing the shift lever, it will return to the center position.

So, ... it sound like the Bolt could be in reverse (red R) while the shift lever has sprung back into the center position.

With the car being quiet, and no parking brake set, bumping the peddle or sliding the mat could tap the pedal and move the car.

It also says that if the car is in neutral for an extended period of time, it will automatically shift into park, but that sounds like it only applies when the vehicle has been shifted into neutral, and does not just appear to be in neutral because of the spring loaded shifter position.

The plot thickens!
Interesting issue on the shifter and how it may behave.

I would hope like one of my vehicles, if you shut the vehicle down and the shifter is in gear the vehicle is automatically put into to park (assuming the Bolt has a "Park" position) or apply the EPB assuming the Bolt has a EPB, but if a drum brake system in the rear may not work so well in reverse depending on the overall design. 2 annoying things on one of my vehicles are: if the driver seat does not detect the occupant it will put the vehicle is park, this happens some times while I need to get my wallet at a drive thru or a toll booth or if I open the drivers door to see while backing up the vehicle goes into park automatically.

While I do not know the Bolt's behavior either, while it may have some area for shifter and safety improvement, I still doubt at the end of the day the car crashed by itself while unattended.

Someone likely got into the unattended car and tried to drive it.

OP has been radio silent for almost 2 months, my money is we will not hear more from him about this.

Lets see if this turns into a NHTSA Safety Recall or goes radio silent.
Old April 11th, 2017, 4:08 PM
CF Beginner

It sounds like this shifter style has been adopted by other GM (and Chrysler) models as well. It's promoted as a space saving feature and allows for the Bolts' floor console pass through and huge console box.

While the manual says it will put itself into park after an extended period of time, but it doesn't say how long that is. My guess is, it's more than a minute. Also, the EPB does not appear to apply itself, but it does sound like it will automatically disengage if the driver forgot to release it.

I don't think there is anything wrong with the shifter itself. I think it's just different from what people are accustomed to. I'm afraid I'm going to regard this as a "user error".
Old April 26th, 2017, 12:27 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by HighGs
It sounds like this shifter style has been adopted by other GM (and Chrysler) models as well. It's promoted as a space saving feature and allows for the Bolts' floor console pass through and huge console box.

While the manual says it will put itself into park after an extended period of time, but it doesn't say how long that is. My guess is, it's more than a minute. Also, the EPB does not appear to apply itself, but it does sound like it will automatically disengage if the driver forgot to release it.

I don't think there is anything wrong with the shifter itself. I think it's just different from what people are accustomed to. I'm afraid I'm going to regard this as a "user error".
Pilot or Co-pilot error!!

I am sure there is a LOT more to this story.

Been around far too long to buy into too much of "its not my fault". I used to investigate the "Sudden, unintended, unexpected acceleration" claims that started back in the 80's with the Audi's and then tricked into almost every other manufacturer and model.

Modern vehicles are getting too overly complicated with crap. Keyless Entry, Push Button Start, Auto Stop/Start, Lane Departure Warning, Automatic Braking, Radar Cruise Control, Auto High Beams, GPS, Stupid Shifters that are joysticks, ***** and push buttons, Automatic Hill Hold/Brakes, Automatic Clutches with Paddle Shifters. I mean how much further can we be disconnected from the driving experience??

If you are behind the wheel, you should be expected to stay focused, awake and engaged.