Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Caprice (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/caprice-34/)
-   -   96 chevy caprice 9c1(COP CAR) HELP!!!! (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/caprice-34/96-chevy-caprice-9c1-cop-car-help-57986/)

Gelidus May 1st, 2013 6:56 PM

96 chevy caprice 9c1(COP CAR) HELP!!!!

Hopping someone here can help me with this. Its got me scratching my head. :confused:

The car wont stay running it goes for about 30-45 seconds. Then it stalls and won't start again. When the car is off and I step on the brake it makes the dinging sound like the key is in the ignition. Then the fuel gauge shoots up to full.

This happened once before and a friend of mine fixed it for a little while by cleaning a sensor. It leaked more oil now its back to the same problem. The friend is not avail to tell me what sensor it was.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Update. It runs in idel just fine. The fuel gage says full but as soon as I press on the brake it starts puttering then dies.

kapriceblizz June 3rd, 2013 7:27 PM

02 sensor need to be replaced

WyrTwister September 27th, 2013 7:25 AM

Originally Posted by Gelidus (Post 247139)
Hopping someone here can help me with this. Its got me scratching my head. :confused:

The car wont stay running it goes for about 30-45 seconds. Then it stalls and won't start again. When the car is off and I step on the brake it makes the dinging sound like the key is in the ignition. Then the fuel gauge shoots up to full.

This happened once before and a friend of mine fixed it for a little while by cleaning a sensor. It leaked more oil now its back to the same problem. The friend is not avail to tell me what sensor it was.

Update. It runs in idel just fine. The fuel gage says full but as soon as I press on the brake it starts puttering then dies.

I do not have the wiring diagram , but it sounds like some of the wireing is shorted together ?

I can not think of a logical connection between the fuel gauge and the engine dieing ?

Either that , or something vacuum related ? I expect you have power brakes & stepping on the brake peddle causes the vacuum brake booster to " consume " vacuum ?

God bless
Wyr

Blaidd Drwg September 27th, 2013 4:41 PM

I would check the check valve and hose going to the brake booster from the intake. While you're under the hood check your EGR vacuum hoses and EGR valve for proper operation. I had a 91 Caprice that would stall out every time I hit the brakes for a stop sign, turned out the EGR was so plugged with carbon that it wouldn't function any more.

WyrTwister September 28th, 2013 8:21 AM

Originally Posted by Gelidus (Post 247139)

How many miles on the car ?

It dings , when you step on the brake , with the engine off ?

In those conditions , only think of that happens , electrically , is the stop lites come on ? Again , check to see if wiring is shorted together ? Maybe , gotten against an exhaust manifold / pipe and melted together ? I have seen a situation like that .

If it was a cop car , who knows the electricals that could been messed up , when they removed the cop equipment ? They might not have taken much care when doing it ?

Also , on the dinging , does the master cylinder have a low level sensor ? is the brake fluid going down enough , when you press down on the brake peddle , to activate the sensor .

Again , check all the vacuum parts and pieces .

God bless
Wyr

4GMs January 8th, 2014 5:05 PM

Update?

Fuel pumps, and related wiring, are notorious weak link on this model. Other of the most common recurring ground issues are also discussed. I am new to this forum, but there's a wealth of troubleshooting and fixes for gremlins as this discussed on the Impala SS Forum [specific to just this model of B-Body]. Also, what I am doing for my Silverado is just reading threads like this on this forum for heads-up on likely issues to watch for.

So Gelidus, did you get this problem diagnosed?

200OZ January 9th, 2014 4:14 PM

Gelidus hasn't been around since he posted the original question in May of 2013.