Caprice This full sized sedan gained infamous recognition as being the choice of many police forces nationwide.
Platform: B-Body

Chevy Caprice '84 - Former Police Version - Urgent Questions

Search this Thread

Old February 27th, 2015, 1:09 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Chevy Caprice '84 - Former Police Version - Urgent Questions

Ok, Hello everybody from here - Europe.

A Few Question concerning this ad. Chevrolet Caprice '84 - Former Police Version

Chevrolet Caprice 18000 PLN. Czernichów - otoMoto.pl

- it uses a carburettor, is it easy to service it, to maintain at all ?

- what to check out during inspection at the place

- what are the weak places concerning this model - place of possible rust etc.

Any help needed urgently !
Old March 1st, 2015, 4:42 AM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We had a 1982 full size Chevy , years ago . But it had never been a police car .

Do not think that much would have changed on a 1984 model ?

We live in a mostly dry climate , away from the ocean ( salt ) . So corrosion is not normally a big problem .

I have been working on American V-8's since I was a teenager . So it is " normal " .

You did not say how many miles were on the car ? But just look for regular wear and tear . Check all the fluids . Does it start easily ? Leaks ? Does it shift OK ? Does it smoke ? How are the tires and brakes ? Paint ?

Do not be surprised if you need to replace some / all the rubber hoses , if they are original .

God bless
Wyr
Old March 1st, 2015, 11:03 AM
CF Beginner

Thank you.

There is 34k miles on it - the meter is scaled in tens of thousands, so the mileage is difficult to determine - there is no documentation.

Do not know if a carburettor is easy in service and causes any trouble in setting etc?

Greets from here,
Tomasz
Old March 1st, 2015, 3:08 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our 1982 had a carburetor with some electronic controls .

It ran OK , but blowing black smoke , running too rich . By that time we had given the car to our oldest boy & daughter-in-law .

I helped him work on the system that injects air into the exhaust manifolds to reduce air pollution . Some how this corrected some situation with a sensor and the too rich fuel mixture went away .

So , I never had to actually work on the carb .

I always figured that carb was a stop gap system until they introduced electronic fuel injection ( like on my 1991 Caprice 5.0l ) .

I have purchased and installed carb re-build kits on older cars . It is doable for shade tree mechanics , but you really have to pay attention to what you are doing . Now , with the digital cameras , take plenty of photos as you take the carb apart .

I used Berryman's B12 carb cleaner on all the internal parts of the carb . Use in a well ventelated area !

God bless
Wyr
Old March 2nd, 2015, 2:44 AM
CF Beginner

Some people, mechanics who deal with the older AmCars here - not many at all - admit they prefer carbs then injection systems.
Working on carbs is a detailed work - as you said - and needs some patience. When I was younger a bit - the late 80's - I was coming back from Austria driving my father's Russian Lada with a carburetor. At midnight in an empty road in the forest it started to choke and finally stopped. Started to fix the carb - blowing, spinning out spinning in. It did not help. Eventually it turned out the capacitor was out of order. I did not any at hand.

The Caprice going to be bought for my 17-year old son. The Caprices are very rare here and that is I am asking for opinions over the Ocean.

Thank you. Greet.
Tomasz

Last edited by Tomasz; March 2nd, 2015 at 3:34 AM.