Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Caprice (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/caprice-34/)
-   -   Gas problem... (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/caprice-34/gas-problem-13643/)

Mycapriceberunning February 21st, 2008 11:31 AM

Gas problem...

I'm new to these forums, quick Hello.
My 95 caprice classic seems to be munching on the gas a bit too much, i put twenty in and only get 40-50 miles out of it on the freeway. I'm sure this can't be normal.
Will a tune up fix this problem? if not then what??
[align=right] [/align]

EvansBlue February 21st, 2008 12:33 PM

RE: Gas problem...

Welcome to the forum!!
Might be helpful to know more about the vehicle... i.e. engine size.

20 dollars or 20 gallons? 20 gallons and theres leak. 20 dollars and thats ~7-9 MPG.
Assuming the latter... get a tuneup and see what it gets you. If that doesn't help, you gotta find whats creating the extra load on the engine. Does it feel like it has no power?

Mycapriceberunning February 22nd, 2008 1:46 AM

It kinda sounds like it's going fast when i'm only going 30-45mph, then it slips into second egar at 46 and it's smooth sailing.
I know i have to get my catalyc converter or w/e it's called fixed or replaced one of those. But it kinda stalls on down shift from 2nd to 1st.
Yes 20 bucks not gallons, it accelerates fine and everything else, it's just i don't know whats going on with gas going so fast
[align=center] [/align]

EvansBlue February 23rd, 2008 7:07 PM

Get the transmissionfilter and fluid changed. It sounds a lot like you have some trash in the filter thats restricting fluid circulation through the transmission.

Mycapriceberunning March 11th, 2008 2:26 PM

[align=center]Ok i got tune up done and changed everything that could effect me burning gas so fast, but it still happens.
Could my transmission effect how fast i lose gas?i do drive a 1995 caprice, i think it's 5.7
If you need an explanation of whats wrong, i put 20 into the tank AFTER they did all the work and only got 30-32 miles out of it.
Please if anyone knows a way to see whats wrong or somewhere to start from that i can tell them i will appreciate it
[/align]

69impalaconvharv August 9th, 2015 10:33 PM

Poor fuel economy on a Caprice

You probably have figured out what is going on by now, but here are a couple of possibilities: First, maybe your transmission is not shifting into 3rd gear giving you poor mileage. 2nd, if your catalytic converter is plugged, that will cause you to use a lot of fuel because the engine is fighting to breathe wit all the back pressure. If it has been plugged for a while, you may have cracked head(s) also causing poor fuel economy. Check your engine vacuum to see if it is normal. Lastly, check your compression. If it is low, you won't get good mileage.

Harv

WyrTwister September 20th, 2015 7:54 AM

My 91 caprice has throttle body fuel injection . Does yours ? Your injectors and or fuel pressure regulator may be messed up / leaking . Causing it to run rich and / or burn a lot of fuel .

God bless
Wyr

WyrTwister September 20th, 2015 7:57 AM

Originally Posted by Mycapriceberunning (Post 60106)
[align=center]Ok i got tune up done and changed everything that could effect me burning gas so fast, but it still happens.
Could my transmission effect how fast i lose gas?i do drive a 1995 caprice, i think it's 5.7
If you need an explanation of whats wrong, i put 20 into the tank AFTER they did all the work and only got 30-32 miles out of it.
Please if anyone knows a way to see whats wrong or somewhere to start from that i can tell them i will appreciate it
[/align]

$ 20 or 20 gallons . Either way , that is a lot of gas for 30 - 32 miles . At that rate you can afford some repairs , just based on the gas you will save .

Are you getting gas in the oil ? Does the exhaust smell over rich ? Lots of soot inside the exhaust pipe of blowing black smoke . Any smells of raw gas , inside or outside the engine compartment ?

God bless
Wyr