Caprice This full sized sedan gained infamous recognition as being the choice of many police forces nationwide.
Platform: B-Body

New Driver

Search this Thread

Old July 10th, 2009, 8:10 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Driver

Im looking at getting a 92-96 caprice with under 100,000 miles on it..now im wondering from people who have owned or do own one of these, are there any problems above and beyond that of any other car in this price range (3-4k) that are not easily repairable. My parents are worried that it will not be reliable because at first i was looking at a 72 chevelle, lets just say they didnt like that very much.

also if anyone is selling one for a good price i live right outside of philly.
Old July 10th, 2009, 11:15 PM
CF Junior Member

I own a '95 Buick Roadmaster which is a sister B Body to the 90's Caprice/Impala SS. Some of the issues I'm aware of with these cars are the Optispark distributor which can cost a lot of money when they go. They are generally reliable but some of the earlier models had their issues. Also the older they get, they tend to have issues. Other "problems" associated with these cars is the A/C can cost quite a bit to repair, especially the compressor if it goes, and the windows have a tendency to come off their tracks due to a poor designed roller. A revised roller is on the market, still available from the local dealer which rectifies this issue. The repair for the windows is fairly easy to do by yourself and inexpensive.
In general though, theese cars are tough and last a long time. For example the Caprice was the favorite for most of the police forces across the country(some still wish these cars were still produced), and some areas still use these. Taxis also favored these cars for roominess and dependability, good selling points to convince your parents.
Old July 11th, 2009, 9:03 PM
CF Junior Member

I've owned a 91 Caprice Classic LTZ since the spring of 1991. She has been one of the most reliable cars ANYONE I know has ever owned! Other than normal maintenance, I replaced the water pump at about 45k miles and again at just over 200,000. I've replaced the valve cover gaskets, and in the intake manifold gasket.....other than that.....nothing. The engine has never been apart, the trans has never been replaced or rebuilt. Last year I gave it to my son to use. It sits outside all the time....whether the weather is 10 below or 95....she starts the first time. She pushing 220,000 miles on it.
Dependable.....OMG!