Captiva The Captiva has been sold worldwide since 2006 and now comes to the US to replace the Saturn Vue
Chevy Captiva
Platform: Theta

2012 Captiva electrical issues

Search this Thread

Old March 5th, 2018, 8:12 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Don't ever buy a chevy captiva, they are lemons & chevrolet will do nothing to help

Golly!!!i it is so disheartening to read all these reports on the wonderful performance of the chevy captiva!!everything that has been said has happened to me...84 female, lives alone...but after much money spent and wrong diagnosis. I now start my car when it is dead by lifting the hood and hitting the red plastic cover on the left side of the battery!!!the last mechanic who came to get the car started said there was something wrong with the set-up or look of the left connection and that he only hit the cover and the car started!!! I took the car into a chevy dealer and was told they could do nothing as they have not sold enough captivas but they could check it out by replacing the connection for a mere $500.00, and there were no guarantees this would work...he never looked at the car....i wiped the sucker sign off my forehead and said i would continue to hit the plastic cover. The dying has gotten worse, i wrote a letter to chevrolet explaining this exciting news...saying it was unbelieveable that none of their team of engineers or all the resources they have at this finger tips could fix this problem...had 3 conversations with the powers that be and was told it was my fault i had not taken it to a dealer before...so there was nothing they could do....i should take the car to the mechanic from aaa and tell he he did not tighten the screw and nut on the left connection correctly!!!i said but the problem happened before the new battery was installed. But curtis insisted this was the problem...if i had taked the car into a dealer then he could give me a work order to have it fixed...or else i have to pay the $500.00....i said this is the last car i will ever own and for the next 5 years in rain, snow, heat and cold, lift lid and hit the red cover..i cannot afford to buy another car and i certainly cannot sell this lemon to anyone....i am telling my family (20 people) and friends and any one who will listen never buy any gm car...toyota and honda, ford, any other car but a gm. I
Old April 29th, 2018, 4:33 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2012 Chevy Captiva Electrical Problem

I bought my used Chevy Captiva back in December 2012. Within a few months I staryed having electrical problems where the traction control fault would come into view and the radio would shut off. Most of the time it would be momentary, but eventually I would lose all power. I would have to disconnect the positive cable lead from the battery and reconnect it in order to have everything operating normally. Sometimes I would have to wait a few hours before the car would start again, sometimes a few minutes. Very frustrating. I had a friend who muscled the positive and negative leads to the battery tighter than I could. That seemed to have resolved the problem for the past six months. Unfortunately, the problem started again today. I hate this. M. Woods
Old May 5th, 2018, 7:49 AM
CF Beginner

Default Is there a recall yet?

I'm having the same electrical issues. Has chevy had a recall for this issue yet. It's very dangerous. By now something should have been done. Right?
Old May 16th, 2018, 3:34 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Report to NHTSA

I encourage everyone to report their Captiva to NHTSA as Chevrolet is clearly not going to take responsibility for this electrical safety issue in good faith. Posting on forums like this does not count as a formal complaint for a recall.

Follow the link and fill out the form, takes 5 minutes.
Even if you have already paid for repairs, you may be entitled to reimbursement in the event of a recall.

Your complaint will be added to a public NHTSA database after personally identifying information is removed.

If the agency receives similar reports from a number of people about the same product, this could indicate that a safety-related defect may exist that would warrant the opening of an investigation.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

Also, if you are one of the people whose vehicle lost power while driving on the freeway or at night and had no hazard lights, or if you were otherwise placed in immediate danger - PLEASE find and save any documentation you have of where you made Chevrolet/GM aware of what happened to you and what their response to you was and send it to NHTSA.
The following users liked this post:
Mbn567 (August 4th, 2022)
Old May 22nd, 2018, 11:35 AM
CF Beginner

Default Battery Cable Issue

Why is the battery cable issue in 2012 Chevy Captiva's not a recall? This is clearly a safety issue. My dealership said the cable was so hot he was surprised it didn't cause a fire.
Old July 10th, 2018, 8:07 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2012 Captiva battery cable issues

Originally Posted by brendar2047
Why is the battery cable issue in 2012 Chevy Captiva's not a recall? This is clearly a safety issue. My dealership said the cable was so hot he was surprised it didn't cause a fire.
My Captiva had all of those issues and I think it ruined the transmission over the year it took to figure out the issue. So now $4500 later, the dealership is saying they need $1258 to replace the cables and ECM. I don’t have the money to fix it and don’t feel I should have to fix a vehicle they didn’t build correctly. How can they get away with this? Can everyone on this thread get together and start a lawsuit?
Old July 16th, 2018, 4:19 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2013 captiva lt

I am also haveing issues with my 2013 Chevy captiva radio shutting off and coming back on by itself ... I just bought this car ... Help !
Old July 17th, 2018, 4:46 PM
CF Beginner

[QUOTE=Daniel Howell;359611]
I am also haveing issues with my 2013 Chevy captiva radio shutting off and coming back on by itself ... I just bought this car ... Help !
Get the battery cables changed. They’re pretty complicated and hard to get to. You need to get new ones, not ones pulled off and older vehicle because they could have the same issues. The ones from the dealer are around $224 and you pretty much have to buy from them. From the research I’ve done, this seems to fix everything. Just had mine changed yesterday, so we’ll see.
Old August 1st, 2018, 5:20 PM
CF Beginner

Default Haha! GM was great now as joke

Sorry to all of you who bought this captiva, unfortunately we bought one to and all we have had is problems the exact same eletrelect issues had the wires and battery replaced and now the same issues on top of that it burns 1 quarter of oil per 800 miles gm claimed this was normal (however I know it's not) and magiclly after 100000 miles they admitted to there being a oil consumption issue and the piston rings need replaced plus whatever other damage has been caused from them ignoring the fact there was a issue. Well it's been a entire year now of calling gm and complain and asking for them to fix this but nope it's my problem. Dealer ship here in Topeka KS Ed bozarth are nothing but scammers. The finance guy even told me to drive it into a bad storm and get the insurance money on it.... Really gm you back these dealers? It's a joke your losing millions of sales doing what your doing by not handling your junk cars. And backing dealers that aren't worth a f*uck. A year of me trying over and over and over to get your help yet nothing.... Now there's a recall on my piston rings issues ohh wait except for it's on tons of models of vehicles with the 2.4 eco tech engine but they won't cover my 12 Captiva with the same junk Fu*kin engine.... Wtf is wrong with you people admit there's a issue and then only fix some card with that engine. Also allll these ppl getting f*ucked over with this but**sh*t electrical prob but you wont help now we are back in the same boat with the eltrical issues all over again... Thanks gm keep having customer service reps leaving there response to pm them so you can privtly not fix anyone's problem. Good luck to all of u dealing with these issue I am right with you maybe they'll care more when everyone stops buying there sh*t cause of them refusing to handle these issues
Old August 29th, 2018, 4:06 AM
CF Beginner

Default GM do you have a solution? Help!

I did a search on the symptoms of my car and I found this forum that literally reiterates it all. Radio stops, I get traction control warnings when I do a turn signal, check engine light comes on sometimes. Everything you guys are saying. Does this mean that I have to change the battery and wires? Regular shops don't know what to do. When these people are asked to PM customer service, did they actually get help?

Quick Reply: 2012 Captiva electrical issues