Captiva The Captiva has been sold worldwide since 2006 and now comes to the US to replace the Saturn Vue
Chevy Captiva
Platform: Theta

2012 Captiva electrical issues

Search this Thread

Old November 8th, 2018, 8:03 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks for your updates!

Originally Posted by shuvl
This was early on in the process. Please see my updates that came later. For this issues... I used my CarMax warranty to pay for the fix (bcm replacement etc.)

Responses from others also show Chevy is not footing the bill for any of these fixes. Footing the bill would insinuate that there is a problem in the first place. That's why I tracked down the guy that provided the resolution for my problem.

Hope this helps.

Shuvl
My daughter just got stranded in her Captiva today same issues as everyone. Unfortunately, she is in Colorado and I am in Missouri. Hoping you can give me an idea of the length each ground cable you made was and did you put ring connectors on each end? Also, if you still have the car, could you also give me an idea of the length that the alternator to + Battery cable would be that another poster has described. Thanks in advance, I'm hoping to build the cables and then mail them to her so a competent friend can hopefully install them for her.
Old November 8th, 2018, 8:11 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by LoveMyCaptivaSport
I'm just wondering if the replacement of the battery sensor you describe has cured your problems since your post quoted above? At that time you said you'd travelled over 200 miles. I've been posting about my similar experiences that seem to have been resolved by jiggling or disconnecting the battery sensor.
Are you still running yours with the sensor disconnected? Did you ever notice any issues with it disconnected? Thanks!
Old November 8th, 2018, 8:19 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Jayssell
If you are having electrical issues , add the alternator to the battery cable and it fixes it.
I need to do this for my daughters 2012, just got stranded today. Unfortunately she is in Colorado and I am in Missouri. Can you tell me how long the cable needs to be and what connectors did you use on each end please? I am hoping to make up the cable and mail it to her so she can have it installed for a reasonable price. Thanks in advance, she has to use her car for work and I am really hoping this will resolve her issues along with adding the additional ground cable suggested further down this thread.
Old November 9th, 2018, 10:00 AM
CF Beginner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jgilbystl
I need to do this for my daughters 2012, just got stranded today. Unfortunately she is in Colorado and I am in Missouri. Can you tell me how long the cable needs to be and what connectors did you use on each end please? I am hoping to make up the cable and mail it to her so she can have it installed for a reasonable price. Thanks in advance, she has to use her car for work and I am really hoping this will resolve her issues along with adding the additional ground cable suggested further down this thread.
Here is a parts list for my fix. All of this can be purchased from one of the big box stores. Amazon delivery just happened to work best for me.

Note: If you are planning to run a third cable from the alternator (+) over to the battery (+) positive, it is best to use a in line fuse setup that matches your alternator voltage. General rule of thumb there is the fuse needs to be placed within one (1) foot of the battery. This helps prevent the cable from arching and causing a fire in the event you are in a collision. This step wasn't necessary for my fix.

I am traveling this week and will get you the lengths as soon as I return.

Hope this helps to fix your issues. It has worked for me.

Shuvl
Old November 12th, 2018, 8:19 AM
CF Beginner

The battery that I had was not the factory one, replace the battery by the one from the dealership and solve the issue. I haven't had it back since then (6 months).
Old December 14th, 2018, 2:34 PM
CF Beginner

Default Electrical power management system sensor

Hi guys, my father in law has a captiva from 2012, he got a new battery not so long ago because the car wouldn't start otherwise. Today it was "flat" again.
I read that someone had disconnected the electrical power management system and I wonder if the sensor is located on the negative cable or the positive cable. I believe it's the negative cable (according to The bulletin below) but can someone clarify? Otherwise i Will notice when i'm at the car.
I will disconnect the sensor asap because that usually is a weak point that causes some of these issues. When the sensor is disconnected the alternator will produce a constant current of around 14.3-14.4v instead of "peak" the current around 15v and then "drain" the battery until it needs to be charged again. This is the standard behaviour of the systems i have seen this far and should be the same here. For comparison ford's system is called "smart charge" and is connected to The negative cable, bmw uses the "i.b.s"(intelligent battery sensor) which was connected to the positive on the older 5 series i had.
​The point is that i'd rather have a system that is constantly charging when the engine is running, and that won't let the starter run because there's a system that believes the battery is drained, even though it is in good condition.

Google this service bulletin btw. Sb-10052499-4154

Last edited by Thimpz; December 14th, 2018 at 2:44 PM.
Old December 17th, 2018, 5:57 AM
CF Beginner

Guys, who knows where you can buy such a part for a car ? - https://tinyurl.com/yawtpo27
I would be grateful for advice.

Last edited by Roman Suslo; December 22nd, 2018 at 11:09 AM.
Old December 17th, 2018, 4:20 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by shuvl
Here is a parts list for my fix. All of this can be purchased from one of the big box stores. Amazon delivery just happened to work best for me.l
Do you think, that amazon is the best place? I think there are better places to buy car spare parts in internet or even in shop.
Old January 23rd, 2019, 7:22 PM
CF Beginner

I have a 2012 Chevy captiva that I bought used 8 months ago. Since I've had it I've had stalling issues which ended up being solenois. Now that problem stopped I've got the not starting issue. Randomly the car won't start and the key gets locked in the ignition. Acts like a dead battery except you pop the hood and literally touch either side of the battery terminal with a wrench (not tightening anything just touching) and the car starts right up... I love my car but this is getting annoying, anyone have an actual fix for it?
Old January 30th, 2019, 8:12 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Ariel Waleski
I have a 2012 Chevy captiva that I bought used 8 months ago. Since I've had it I've had stalling issues which ended up being solenois. Now that problem stopped I've got the not starting issue. Randomly the car won't start and the key gets locked in the ignition. Acts like a dead battery except you pop the hood and literally touch either side of the battery terminal with a wrench (not tightening anything just touching) and the car starts right up... I love my car but this is getting annoying, anyone have an actual fix for it?
Man, I have been reading about some strange electrical issues with the Captivas... and that has to be one of the strangest... Do you have a short in the wiring leading up to the battery? Corrosion on the terminals, tried cleaning? Maybe it actually is the battery, i have heard of whole cells dropping to the bottom, and creating a short.

Key stuck in ignition, and won't start is a real symptom that you are not getting any power to the ignition switch. I would say your problem could be anywhere between the battery (including the battery) all the way to the ignition switch.

Btw, I would create a new thread for your issue, so we don't hijack the thread.

Quick Reply: 2012 Captiva electrical issues