Captiva The Captiva has been sold worldwide since 2006 and now comes to the US to replace the Saturn Vue
Chevy Captiva
Platform: Theta

2014 Radiator Issue

Search this Thread

Old January 16th, 2019, 12:21 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 2014 Radiator Issue

2014 Captiva, no cooling or overheating problems, 50,000 miles, no accidents, garage kept. Took vehicle in for front pads and rotors, mech noticed coolant leak from side seam of radiator, removed grille and found radiator looking like this!

Rear

Front
No warranty and no help from GM, $1100 repair! Talked with my service manager and he said local GM representative that stops in monthly, saw it and was dumbfounded! He took photos and said he was going to contact GM about it, no word yet. HEY GM what the hell, 50,000 miles and radiator ready to explode! Replacement cost over $800 just for radiator. Would like to hear from GM about quality of their OEM parts. Already had the battery cable issue and at least warranty covered it ($1200+) and now today 1/16/2019, wife called and vehicle stalls under acceleration with check engine light on. Limped to mech shop (will never see dealer again for repairs) and waiting to see what this repair is going to cost. Once repaired it's going up for sale and will be last Chevy for me (sad really, been Chevy since I started driving 40+ yrs ago!)
Old January 17th, 2019, 2:52 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Slick
2014 Captiva, no cooling or overheating problems, 50,000 miles, no accidents, garage kept. Took vehicle in for front pads and rotors, mech noticed coolant leak from side seam of radiator, removed grille and found radiator looking like this!

Rear

Front
No warranty and no help from GM, $1100 repair! Talked with my service manager and he said local GM representative that stops in monthly, saw it and was dumbfounded! He took photos and said he was going to contact GM about it, no word yet. HEY GM what the hell, 50,000 miles and radiator ready to explode! Replacement cost over $800 just for radiator. Would like to hear from GM about quality of their OEM parts. Already had the battery cable issue and at least warranty covered it ($1200+) and now today 1/16/2019, wife called and vehicle stalls under acceleration with check engine light on. Limped to mech shop (will never see dealer again for repairs) and waiting to see what this repair is going to cost. Once repaired it's going up for sale and will be last Chevy for me (sad really, been Chevy since I started driving 40+ yrs ago!)
Yeah, that radiator looks awful. Probably from MX or China. You can buy a new one for about $240 dollars at Autozone. Replacing a radiator is not much of a job actually. I have sone it many times, usually when owners didnt take car of the coolant and they leaked due to corrosion

Last edited by oilcanhenry; January 17th, 2019 at 2:58 AM.
Old January 28th, 2019, 2:15 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a similar experience with a 1952 GMC truck that I am restoring, with an original brass cored radiator, it produced a leak actually from a process called Electrolysis. I soon found out that my engine grounds were of very low quality, and my coolant was very dirty and could conduct very well. Not to say that Henry is wrong about the quality of production of the radiator, that could definitely be a factor, but it makes me wonder if our engine grounds are of good quality, and free from corrosion. Maybe we should check and ensure that the engine is grounding well enough that the electrical current is not trying to ground through the radiator fluid into the radiator...? Changing out coolant might help us too.

Seeing this kind of stuff makes me a bit concerned... lol
Old January 28th, 2019, 11:37 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by Slick

Rear

Front
it has a chevy badge but its a Korean Daewoo product. Research could of saved you some heart ache. Every Daewoo chevy is a crap bomb.