Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Cavalier (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/cavalier-12/)
-   -   2002 chevy cavi fuel issues (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/cavalier-12/2002-chevy-cavi-fuel-issues-101834/)

rena nash August 17th, 2020 3:03 PM

2002 chevy cavi fuel issues

So far I've replaced the following: maf sensor, fuel filter, plugs, valve cover gasket and bolt grommets, and the alternator. My check engine light stays on and my service light stays on as well. It does not have a cat anymore. The only code its throwing is for emissions which I was told is due to no cat. She starts right up sometimes it Smooth sometimes it misfires or boggs a little. Once I get her going most of the time it runs good but lately it's been stalling when I'm at a stop light or stop sign. Also when I turn a corner slowly it will stall. My fuel pump is running fine. It all started when I let the gas tank get low. Tried sea foam and replaced all the above and it's still doing it. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

kevinkpk August 17th, 2020 3:12 PM

Originally Posted by rena nash (Post 452175)
So far I've replaced the following: maf sensor, fuel filter, plugs, valve cover gasket and bolt grommets, and the alternator. My check engine light stays on and my service light stays on as well. It does not have a cat anymore. The only code its throwing is for emissions which I was told is due to no cat. She starts right up sometimes it Smooth sometimes it misfires or boggs a little. Once I get her going most of the time it runs good but lately it's been stalling when I'm at a stop light or stop sign. Also when I turn a corner slowly it will stall. My fuel pump is running fine. It all started when I let the gas tank get low. Tried sea foam and replaced all the above and it's still doing it. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

You might look at trash in the gas tank.

rena nash August 18th, 2020 8:59 AM

2002 chevy cavalier

Originally Posted by kevinkpk (Post 452176)
You might look at trash in the gas tank.

how do I check for trash in the tank?

Jiyu August 18th, 2020 4:10 PM

Check, clean and lube the IAC (Idle Air Control Valve).

Since fuel is used to cool the fuel pump, it's best to avoid running the tank too low....

rena nash August 18th, 2020 5:30 PM

Originally Posted by Jiyu (Post 452219)
Check, clean and lube the IAC (Idle Air Control Valve).

Since fuel is used to cool the fuel pump, it's best to avoid running the tank too low....

I did that when I cleaned the throttle body and replaced the maf. She will run great one day then back to the misfires and stalling. The rpms while stopped is at 1 then drops to 0 n stalls, even while giving it gas. I love this car but she's driving me crazy trying to figure out her issue lol

Jiyu August 19th, 2020 1:04 AM

Get new plug wires (good ones, not cheap ones!).

Check the fuel pressure. Many auto parts stores will loan you the pressure gauge and maybe show you how to use it. You could have low fuel pressure. The parts stores can also hook up a scan tool and tell what codes your car is showing. Or, you can buy a cheap scan tool (they're nice to have).

Also check carefully for vacuum leaks (many YT videos).

The engine may not be getting enough fuel at low rpm, or air is getting into the engine from a vacuum leak - either can cause the engine to run lean and stall/misfire.

The CEL has been ON on my '02 for may years - I could care less. The car runs well and I keep the oil and fluids clean.

Jiyu August 19th, 2020 1:13 AM

You might also do a compression check - that would reveal any internal engine problems such as a burned valve, low compression, etc.

rena nash August 19th, 2020 9:08 AM

When I replaced the fuel filter the pump sounded fine. A few months after I replaced the plugs I checked them and the last 2 had a good amount of oil on them. After looking at the back of the engine I saw oil on the back so I replaced the valve cover gasket and grommets. The timing chain was fine and the heads looked good as well as the valves. Rngine looked really good for as many miles are on her. I'll try putting new wires on and see if that helps and the other stuff you said to check. Just weird that she will run perfectly fine one day then go back to running ****ty. I try prep talks with her but she dont always listen lol thanks for your help.

Jiyu August 20th, 2020 3:10 PM

If it's a high-mileage engine you can run a heavier weight oil.

rena nash August 20th, 2020 3:58 PM

Yep shes got 270k miles on her. Weird cuz the past few days shes ran perfectly. No issues at all but tomorrow is another day so who knows lol