Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Cavalier (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/cavalier-12/)
-   -   2002 still getting hot after changing everything (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/cavalier-12/2002-still-getting-hot-after-changing-everything-45692/)

BW56 February 8th, 2016 10:15 AM

Glad it helped Vince. Our cavalier is still running. The wife is still looking at getting a new car lol.

BW56 April 19th, 2017 3:13 PM

Still running daily with no problems. :) She's still looking at new cars. Just not in any hurry....

BW56 October 17th, 2017 10:21 PM

Final update. Wife got her NEW car. She's very happy with it (GMC Terrain). We GAVE the cavalier to a family with 4 teenagers still running fine. 6 weeks later it died. 0 compression in one cylinder, 50 in another, 75 in another 160(?) in the last one. Well they got what they paid for.

Artlesskills May 3rd, 2019 9:53 PM

Thank you!

My 2002 sunfire has been doing this for years. Revving above 3k would bring temps down. Stopped taking it on long trips. Just replaced water pump, thermostat, and radiator. Still doing it. No I know what will fix it. Thanks for not abandoning the thread like many people sometimes do.

ddemier7 June 28th, 2019 1:51 AM

I got a 2007 Chevy Impala SS 5.3 V8 doing the same thing after replacing the themostat and varifing it was installed correctly with Alldata schematics. Top hose gets hot bottom hose cool to touch. There is circulation when you take cap off and increase rpms. So its not water pump. Tried burping sytem over a couple of days same thing. Gona try to flush heater core and see if that uncloggs anything.

Good thread.

Irish_alley June 28th, 2019 2:23 PM

norm if something is wrong with thermostat or circulation bottom gets hot while top is cooler to the touch. does it act up while driving or only at stops or at all times?

BW56 October 25th, 2019 11:23 PM

I pop in once in a while still. Glad this thread is giving hope still. Revving my engine up did cool better but can also draw unwanted attention ;) It seems you need a lot of water flow thru the heater core to open the t-stat enough to cool. The system cooled fine without the thermostat so it was capable. As noted I jury rigged a hose to bypass the heater core and things worked fine.

therewolf October 26th, 2019 10:25 AM

On a side note, I have the "Dual Control" Climate Control System, which kept going to heat in the A/C mode.

Kept reprogramming the problem, and the system kept leapfrogging the fix.

So I repaired it permanently, by installing a ball valve in one of the heater hoses going to the heater core. Home Depot 8$ part to the rescue. And I hope you DON'T like it, GM.

Jiyu Shugi November 12th, 2019 12:39 AM

Another good reason to use distilled water rather than tap water.

Zack Johnson January 5th, 2020 7:03 AM

Originally Posted by BW56 (Post 193771)
My problem started a year ago getting hot on the freeway. It never got to 260, but was way to close. Let it cool and nursed it home with many breaks. It had always run 195 since it was new. Changed the thermostat and all seemed good. Until lately, i can't go 2 miles without it getting hot. So new thermostat again, still hot, new radiator, still hot, REBUILT head, new gasket, new bolts, still hot, new water pump, still hot, hoses are not hard, out of shape, or sucked shut. No bubbles in the surge tank so head job is OK. I never see the fan come on unless the ac is on, which in AZ. is all the time anyway. 60 or so on the freeway it gets hot, drop into 3rd and hold 3200 rpm and the temp goes to 195 or just under. At a stop light temp goes up till i hold 3200 rpm in neutral, drops to 195 again. Help. What have i missed? its a 2002 cavalier 2.2 ohv 4 cyl. I'm going to get the attention of every law enforcement officer in the area if this keeps up. I dont like the look in my wifes eyes as she's looking at new cars we really cant afford...

did you try changing the engine coolant temp sensor?