Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

96 cavalier wont start

Search this Thread

Old October 10th, 2007, 8:01 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 cavalier wont start

hi i have a 96 cavalier i started the car and went down to the store and went in shoping came out and went to go start the car and all it did was just crank would not start. so i had it trailered home pulled the spark plugs and there was no spark so i replaced the coils and crank senor, cam senor and the ingnition control module. the check engin light went out now when i go to start the car my theft system light says on while trying to start it. i am out of idea's and would love to hear some one els oppion's what els i can try and if any one now's how to turn the theft system light off ty

[/align]
Old October 10th, 2007, 8:01 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: 96 cavalier wont start

hi i have a 96 cavalier i started the car and went down to the store and went in shoping came out and went to go start the car and all it did was just crank would not start. so i had it trailered home pulled the spark plugs and there was no spark so i replaced the coils and crank senor, cam senor and the ingnition control module. the check engin light went out now when i go to start the car my theft system light says on while trying to start it. i am out of idea's and would love to hear some one els oppion's what els i can try and if any one now's how to turn the theft system light off ty

[/align]
Old March 17th, 2008, 4:34 PM
rb
CF Beginner

I recently had the same problem w/no start & theft lite on a 97 cav found bad chassis ground.Negative is bolted to battery tray for ground,battery tray rusted out.rb
Old March 19th, 2008, 12:07 PM
CF Beginner

Might be your ignition switch or key lock cylinder. I would start with the ignition switch as it is fairly cheap +/- $45 and not to hard to change. The ignition switch is located on the left side of the steering wheel. There was a recall on the switch for Cavaliers 1995-97.

The following spells out what's involved:

http://www.freeengineinfo.com/ignition-switch-1.htm

For what its worth.
Old March 19th, 2008, 12:44 PM
CF Active Member

I wouldn't go replacing parts until you know whats wrong. See if you can get a mechanic it to come with a scan tool andcheck if there are any fault codes.
Old May 20th, 2008, 12:49 PM
CF Beginner

I just had the same problem, ran fine last night, went out this morning, turned over great but would not start, no spark from the plugs. I had only a small amount of rust on my neg. bat terminal and some corrosion on the pos. on. I cleaned them and thought just for the hell of it I'll try starting it. Really didn't think it would make a difference since it was turning over very strong. Sure thing, turned over and started, much to my suprise. Went a few places this morning and it keeps starting.