Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

Head gasket reassembly help

Search this Thread

Old April 19th, 2018, 7:13 PM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head gasket reassembly help

Hey there

my girlfriend and I just picked up a 99 cavalier with 199xxx miles and the 2.2l engine. We got it with a blown head gasket, and having done one once before on a vw, I figured wed give this one a shot. Working on reassembly, and we can't figure out where all the sensors in the back of the engine plug into, mainly there's a tiny red connector, and there's a 3rd connector coming off the branch that the two going into the throttle body come off of.

Also, trying to put the alternator bracket and the alternator back on, and the bottom bolt from the alternator isn't lining up with the bracket, it's quite puzzling

any help at all would be appreciated, thank you
Old May 17th, 2018, 10:31 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

-There's 3 sensors on the engine block under the intake manifold. One of them "should" be the red one.
-One way down by the CV axle.
-Two on the butterfly intake / throttle housing that the throttle cable attaches to.
-One on the EGR.
-4 to the injectors.
-1 to the coolant temp up top.
-1 to the air temp up top.
-Theres another red connector up top for the sensor that the vacuum lines attach to.

The alternator bracket only goes on one way. If you put the top bolt into the alternator first, that should allow you to swivel the bolt into place on the bottom. That bolt is over 3" long and its the only one like it on the vehicle, so make sure you have the right one.